What is a Minority?

Rip! I tear open the envelope and look inside as my heart falls. Another rejection! How many scholarships can a person get turned down? So far I have been turned down for all the twenty-seven I applied for.

I have a friend whose parents make over $100,000 a year and he received a full ride scholarship. Why? Because he is considered a minority. I come from a family that makes roughly $50,000 a year and did not qualify for financial aid, or receive any of the scholarships I applied for. I mean I participate in sports and clubs, and maintain an average GPA. I’m not at all saying that I deserve a sports scholarship or even an academic one but it would be nice.

Many would say that the reason is that they are giving scholarships to those who are “minorities” because of the prejudices that their race faces. My theory is that it is just people trying not to get sued.

I’m not suggesting that there is not prejudice in the United States because there is. Reports have been made about racial bullying in schools. Not only does this offend the victims but affects their learning as well. There have been numerous cases of racism in the past that still haunt our country, but we should leave them in the past.

This is an important issue that we need to be thinking about but not focusing on.

Akeisha N., a high school student said “I feel like sometimes, just being a minority, I have so many more opportunities.”

We will not eliminate prejudice until our country decides to give everyone equal opportunity.
Our country needs to come to an understanding that equal opportunity doesn’t mean giving other races more opportunity. If we don’t then the circumstances will always remain the same, and the concept of “minority” will never change.

Why do we even pay attention to each others race? This country would run so much more smoothly if people just eliminated all prejudice. That means not having an action merely based on skin color.

Telling whites that they cannot receive a scholarship because of their race is the same as telling blacks they cannot drink out of the same water fountain.

The Webster’s dictionary states that minority means “a racial, religious, or political group that differs from the larger controlling group.” But is that what our country views it as?

Did our country not just elect the first black president?

The other day I was researching summer camps and it came to my attention that there was camps that were solely for a racial group. These camps weren’t even studying heritage or anything. They were just camps that were for “Hispanics only” or for “Asians only.”

Why would these camps marginalize other races? God forbid there to be camps for “Whites only.” They would be sued if that happened.
Whether people agree or not, there has been racial prejudices in the past and present. But what ever happened to that old saying “Lets all forgive and forget!”

Peace.Love.Music. said...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 10:06 am:
I feel what you are saying, but I disagree with some parts. Yes, it would be much easier if we eliminated all prejudices, but that's simply not possible. Everyone has an opinion, even if we don't agree with it. I know what you are saying though, my best friend is Hispanic, and she get's terrible grades. She got the first scholarship that she applied to. And like you, I have been turned down by multiple because I am not considered a 'minority'. I agree with most of what you say, but again, it's i... (more »)

htrae22 said...
I agree with you i think prejudiceism can be againist blacks or whites

Kyle T. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I COMPLETELY agree it is so hypocrytical screw political correctness. I am not a minority, yet minorities can get into the same colleges I can with sat scores 100 points or more lower.

Rosey_Angel replied...
Apr. 2, 2011 at 3:24 am :
WHAT KIND OF SCHOOL ARE YOU GOING TO???

Brandon replied...
May 16, 2011 at 8:13 am :
He goes to Narnia High School

ilikeeggs said...
ehhh.... i disagree. i thought about it and you are very wrong. It is a good idea to reject because of minority. they dont need them in colleges. they are waiting for people like you to mature. sorry.

bookwormteen replied...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 10:55 pm :
OMG!!!some one is being racial right now!!!!!!!DX DB @X

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree with you, even though I'm in a minority. :P

Although I don't think we should "forget" racial prejudice, but I shan't nitpick. :P

susu.ali said...
Oct. 21, 2010 at 11:55 am:
I remember telling my mom the other week i wish i lived in a world where race doesn't matter. just like the color of your clothes don't matter. i mean wearing a purlple shirt, blue, yellow, green, brown, orange, you name it burgandy lol. it would be awesome to live where no group at any given time is seen as "better" than another. but, unless America tackles (idk if i spelt that right) the issuse of racisim in America it will never change. for instance: why do we learn more about the european... (more »)

Sis94 replied...
Dec. 13, 2010 at 8:58 pm :

u tell them how it is

HopefulWolfThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 7:16 pm :

WoW you should come to my school. In middle school we learned about...

6th grade: Early Agriculture, Mesopotamia

7th grade: Ancient Greece, I.slam.ic culture

8th grade: U.S. Government

I think we have a nice variety, and seventh grade was my favorite year, so I signed up for a comparative religio.n class next year.

teresa17 said...
This is so true. I hate when people get all worked up because someone says they cant do something and they say its cuz im black. i mean seriously. what about white people!!!! Racism isnt only towards blacks! its towards anyone!

Of_The_Broken said...
I completely agree!

Juli007 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:55 pm:
When we're all together with our eyes closed we're a majority. When we open them and see the differences are we a country of minorities. When it comes to other people, live with your eyes closed.

halfdarainbow replied...
Aug. 30, 2010 at 6:34 pm :
Well said, Juli. i love that.

QTforeverr said...
May 11, 2010 at 3:13 am:
Okay, let's think, your ancestors were able to work and own property and vote and make money. And then they had kids, and they had kids, and they had kids, etc, and then finally your grandparents and then parents. So your family line has lived normal lives, assuming you are white, while blacks were put through slavery, not able to own land, vote, and still discriminated against today! We have to have affirmative action. Look at the demographics of a ghetto. Plus, you were probably denied 27 scho... (more »)

Quinntre replied...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 3:45 am :
Yes their ANCESTORS weren't able to work and own property, they have every opportunity to better themselves. If you think just going to school and doing what your supposed to is going to make you smarter then that's your first problem. And many white american's couldn't own land, could work and make almost no money, couldn't vote because they had to pay exc. stuff like that happens everywhere in the U.S. to different races. And whites aren't discriminated against today? Let's see blacks have NAA... (more »)

SunnyWinter replied...
Feb. 26, 2011 at 8:40 am :
Anyone can start a group like the NAACP theres no one stopping anyone the NAACP was formed becuase african americans had a uninting force and that was to make a better world so that isn't really a good justifiable compliant, and trust me i wish that we didn't have BET

Rosey_Angel replied...
Apr. 2, 2011 at 3:09 am :

Couple things. 1.)The probable reason that minorities are offered scholarships moreso than white people is because there are less of us. If you have five pieces of candy and two groups of friends, one with thirty people and the other with five, who are you going to share with?

2.) Really, your example of an organization that was labeled as racist was the KKK. They were rascist. I believe any group that sets fires on inocent people's land because they have different looks or beli... (more »)

OneBlackGirl replied...
May 17, 2011 at 9:42 pm :
BET is owned by Viacom. Viacom is owned by a WHITE man, so technically it's not our own channel.