What is a Minority?

Rip! I tear open the envelope and look inside as my heart falls. Another rejection! How many scholarships can a person get turned down? So far I have been turned down for all the twenty-seven I applied for.

I have a friend whose parents make over $100,000 a year and he received a full ride scholarship. Why? Because he is considered a minority. I come from a family that makes roughly $50,000 a year and did not qualify for financial aid, or receive any of the scholarships I applied for. I mean I participate in sports and clubs, and maintain an average GPA. I’m not at all saying that I deserve a sports scholarship or even an academic one but it would be nice.

Many would say that the reason is that they are giving scholarships to those who are “minorities” because of the prejudices that their race faces. My theory is that it is just people trying not to get sued.

I’m not suggesting that there is not prejudice in the United States because there is. Reports have been made about racial bullying in schools. Not only does this offend the victims but affects their learning as well. There have been numerous cases of racism in the past that still haunt our country, but we should leave them in the past.

This is an important issue that we need to be thinking about but not focusing on.

Akeisha N., a high school student said “I feel like sometimes, just being a minority, I have so many more opportunities.”

We will not eliminate prejudice until our country decides to give everyone equal opportunity.
Our country needs to come to an understanding that equal opportunity doesn’t mean giving other races more opportunity. If we don’t then the circumstances will always remain the same, and the concept of “minority” will never change.

Why do we even pay attention to each others race? This country would run so much more smoothly if people just eliminated all prejudice. That means not having an action merely based on skin color.

Telling whites that they cannot receive a scholarship because of their race is the same as telling blacks they cannot drink out of the same water fountain.

The Webster’s dictionary states that minority means “a racial, religious, or political group that differs from the larger controlling group.” But is that what our country views it as?

Did our country not just elect the first black president?

The other day I was researching summer camps and it came to my attention that there was camps that were solely for a racial group. These camps weren’t even studying heritage or anything. They were just camps that were for “Hispanics only” or for “Asians only.”

Why would these camps marginalize other races? God forbid there to be camps for “Whites only.” They would be sued if that happened.
Whether people agree or not, there has been racial prejudices in the past and present. But what ever happened to that old saying “Lets all forgive and forget!”

JesusandHisLawyersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 26 at 7:19 pm:
Sorry you didn't get accepted, but that's not the fault of your poc/female/GSM (any other oppressed/minorties, sorry if I missed you) peeps. The fact of the matter is poc etc. NEED more opportunites because without them, "white-only" would absolutely be a thing. People who are not discriminated against do not need help in the same way that people who are, do. 

LadyWisdom98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
What's up with this Black vs. White stuff? Those aren't the only two ethnicities in existence. Let's all try to grow up a little bit, people!

ALennyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:31 pm:
I know exactly what you mean! I was lucky enough to receive a scholarship to go to a boarding school because of a combination of academics, my financial situation and the fact that i live in the middle of nowhere, but because i received this opportunity, uni's won't consider me because I'm normal, and no longer from that background because of my 'privaledged education'. Getting into uni will be relatively easy considering my grades and I planned to study medicine, but without... (more »)

Anonymous said...
Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:02 pm:
It's not that Caucasian pride is automatically racist, because the truth is, there's nothing wrong with being proud of every aspect of your identiy. The only problem is that so many people find "white pride" offensive because our ancestors were racist and, as a result, screwed it up for the rest of us. But, if you ask me, I think the whloe thing is kind of shallow. I'll bet you evrything I own that if minorities or Asians were the ones enforcing supremacist laws in their fa... (more »)

wanderlustful This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thank you for writing this article! It is so accurate! My cousin is a quarter Mexican and got a huge scholarship to a very nice school because he said he was Hispanic... 

jj9120 said...
Jul. 28, 2012 at 6:38 pm:
I go to a prep boarding school that is mostly white in my entire graduating class there are 5 black girls including me and 4 black boys...In a scenario with a  lower income white student and a lower income black student in order to create diversity in schools like mine affirmative action has to be initiated. In the places that surrond my school black people are few and most of the white people at my school have had little contact with other races which will affect them when they are adults ... (more »)

bennyB said...
May 2, 2012 at 9:48 am:
it is true that minorities get alot of scholarships, but the best scholarships are the ones that do not look at race but acedemics

wicked-souls said...

As a minority, I can still agree 100% with what you are saying. Although eliminating oppurtunties for minorites would affect me negatively, it won't instill the idea in people's minds that race actually does matter. 

People would argue and say they do this because they need a certain amount of minorities per year, but why?

So goverment doesn't claim them as racist?
So you're telling me that saying "Oh good, they accepted an exceptional amount of blacks and latinos this... (more »)

jessicaah said...
Oct. 22, 2011 at 11:57 am:

Colleges accept minorities because they have to accept a certain amount per year.

I am also considered a minority, but I've NEVER been treated better for it, if anything it is always worse.

In my opinion, a lot more minorities are getting accepeted because a lot of them are smarter. Thet in no way is to offend anyone but, a lot of them are. 

RunningFree replied...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 7:07 pm :
Miss, I must contracdict what you say here.  Affirmative action has been looked down upon for well over a decade, most colleges are not forced to accept any amount of minority at all.
As far as your opinion (yes, we all have the right to our opinions, including me) on minorities being 'smarter,' that, to me, is like everyone saying my brother is smarter than me because he got into an Ivy League and blah blah blah.  'Asians' have been proven to have a higher likely hood to be 'smar... (more »)

jessicaah replied...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:00 pm :

You're not angering me..lol.

My thing is, you're saying that they are treated better...but some aren't. Do you think people treat me better because I'm Arabic? Heck no. I'm constantly called a "terrorist" for just being from Israel. When in reality I'm Christian. Certain collages have to accept certain number of minorities per year, and that is fact. I'm not saying that just because you are African-American or Asian you're going to be accepted, I'm saying a majority are smarter than ot... (more »)

jessicaah replied...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:08 pm :
Sorry, That shouldn't have came up twice. d:

RunningFree replied...
Nov. 24, 2011 at 8:24 am :
Oh, no, I agree with you on the Arab part and how most Asians try more.  I believe there are plenty of prejudices in the world today.  Heck, I live in a house where my father holds prejudices against the Middle East so I complete understand where you're coming from there.  Please know that I don't hold those.  As far as the Americans caring less in general, completely understand that too.  Most of the people where I live do care about something, though -- whether it be s... (more »)

Love said...
I partially agree with you. While I understand the frustration that you are feeling, you said it yourself: we have elected our first black president. Disney featured it's first black princess. The fact that African-Americans get Affirmative Action is their fault. It's societies fault for ostracizing them. I don't agree with that, and I do think that people should be chosen for things based on credentials and merit, but that would only occur in a perfect world, and ours is a... (more »)

Love replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 3:01 pm :
sorry all, i meant it isn't their fault. 

ramonalynnc said...
Aug. 12, 2011 at 8:21 am:

To an extent I agree. I'm a minority myself and yes I recognize that SOME minorities are accepted to SOME places that a white person with the same scores, extracurricular activities etc would not have been accepted to. But at the same time you can't just write ALL minorities off as getting accepted simply because they're minorities. I got into one of the top public high schools in my city because I got a 994 out of 1000 NOT because I was African-American. But, when I went to my predominantly ... (more »)

yousaypotato... said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 11:25 am:
I agree with you on most terms. I am a minority, and i do feel that sometimes minorities get the better deal just because we are minorities. my cousin didnt get accepted to the coast gaurd because he wasnt a minority. and he really wanted to go to the coast gaurd. I dont think that there is a prejudice against white people now adays, but i do believe that when it comes to some things having to do with acceptances (as in school, sports etc.) most people opt for a minority to show that they are... (more »)

Irene said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:22 am:
I agree with a lot of what you said, but I'm Asian and it's WAY harder for an Asian to get into a top school than it is for a white person. If a white person has a 4.2 GPA and plays sports on a varsity that's an automatic acceptance to lots of colleges (if not a scholarship). An Asian has to do that and more because to many Asians are (in the words of an anonymous non-Asian) overachievers. My point is if you think you've got it tough, think again, bud.

Irene replied...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:24 am :

*too many :P

Rosey_Angel said...
Apr. 2, 2011 at 3:23 am:

I'm a black person and I can sorta understand what you mean. We got into a discussion about this (kinda) in my English class. America is supposed to be about everyone being equal. Unfortunately, that generally means everyone is supposed to act and look like white people, because they are the majority. I wish we could all just be people, but it's not that simple (at least in a tainted adult mind. Small children seem to do it every day).

Going back to a comment I made in another comment,... (more »)