The Hardships | Teen Ink

The Hardships

By gihavens BRONZE, Wilminton, Delaware
gihavens BRONZE, Wilminton, Delaware

Recently, sexual assault cases have been publicized greatly compared to previous years. While it is good to raise awareness, I believe the way these cases are portrayed by the media has served to trivialize this behavior. I frequently hear jokes being made about the #MeToo movement as well as jokes about rape. People have turned their back on the importance of sexual assault insight and have made it seem as if in some situations it's acceptable and even humorous. It’s as though people don't consider or even care about the life-altering physical and emotional trauma these victims face. It truly hurts to think how people have turned their backs on how sickening these acts are.

People like to discuss what women are wearing during the rape, yet even women are dressed in full body garments, are raped as well. There have even been cases where the victim's clothing was used as evidence against them. Now I'm not sure about you, but I believe we should be able to dress however we please with no fear of our body be exposed by a disgusting pervert ripping through our clothing. As women, we should be able to feel comfortable walking down the street showing as much skin as we please without causing unwanted attention from any man. Another disappointment is school dress codes since they shouldn't be based around women's “distractions” such as shoulders or midriff. Women shouldn’t have to mind their clothing its society who needs to grow up and learn how to control their perverted ways. All of society needs to actually understand the problem at hand. The world needs to wake up and realize the clothing we wear is not our consent.

Some men don't understand when we say no it means no. Some men keep asking over and over again until the woman feels pressured into a sexual act. Some think if they agreed then there's no reason for anyone to feel violated or taken advantage of, but there's a difference between both people being completely ready and one person pressuring the second into the act. No matter what its wrong if a woman obviously doesn't feel prepared and they keep being pushed further and further until they become so frustrated and pressured they believe there's no other option. We should open our eyes and realize even if we say I'm not comfortable or wait, they should stop. Everyone has a right to their body. A right to say who can see it and who can't. A right to state when their ready and when their not. Everyone needs to recognize the enormous difference between consent and coercion.

Women shouldn't be apprehensive of attending a social event and having the chance of becoming victim to sexual assault. No one should be walking down the street and dragged into a dark alley to be taken advantage of. We shouldn't have to fear to attend a party or social event and having someone slip something into our drinks when we're not aware. We should be able to let loose and have a good time without thinking someone could be trying to take advantage over our bodies. However, in today's world, women must live in constant awareness. I always hear why didn't she fight back or if that was me I would have put up a better fight. However, if the person is highly intoxicated or drugged they could be passed out or physically incapable in that state. Also if a man uses their overbearing physical strengths to overpower a woman theirs possibly no way she can subdue him. Everyone needs to open their eyes and realize we shouldn't have to fear fun.

Some victims say wait and others say stop. Some victims fight back and others freeze in terror. Some victims are perfectly sober and others are not. Some victims dress more scandalous and others more conservative. No matter the persons reaction or how they express their fear they are all victims.  They all experienced something no one should ever have to go through and none of them deserved. Everyone needs to ask themselves if this is the kind of world they enjoy living in. A world where women must take certain precautions in order to feel and stay safe. No person will ever be able to feel the amount of mental and physical suffering a victim goes through. It's a life-altering experience. It's a disgusting act that no one should have to experience and no person should think of doing. Society should be as disgusted by rape as they are by menstruation.