The Effects of Net Neutrality | Teen Ink

The Effects of Net Neutrality

By GWilliams GOLD, Tirana, Other
GWilliams GOLD, Tirana, Other

“wtf his ult did like 3k damage how is that legit” – leonardo da vinci 1496, founder of the Illuminati

Recently the FCC decided to repeal a set of laws put in motion in 2015. These laws prevented internet service providers from speeding up, slowing down or even blocking websites. The new act, called the Internet freedom act, returns the power to internet service providers. This gives ISP’s the power to charge people for access to different websites and charge large companies like Google for not blocking them. This can have several disastrous effects on small companies who can’t afford to have their websites in the fast lane or even on the web at all. It could also mean that ISPs can control where people go and block illegal websites.

The repeal of net neutrality can have positive effects on the internet. Allowing the internet service providers to block certain websites. “This means illegal activities are prevented, including for illegal file sharing, due to the fact that each ISP would be treated as a regulated common carrier This means the illegal content will be more frequently attacked and dissuade people from making more of it. Giving ISP’s the ability to charge companies and people for a fast lane will give more money to the Internet service providers to upgrade their technology.

The new net neutrality act will affect you. ISPs will start charging for access to different sites, you might find that you have to pay for access to social media or video streaming. Internet service providers will also charge large companies like Google and Netflix to be fast or even their at all this means that those large companies, especially one with monthly subscriptions will likely see prices go up. “Providers like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon have grown their membership bases. If broadband providers got the chance to charge these companies more — and it's safe to say they would — the cost would likely be transferred to consumers.”(Kelly). This means that more powerful ISPs will be getting as much money as they can from mammoth companies which might even reduce their user base. Giving ISPs power to block or slow down websites could be very detrimental to oppressed groups who use the internet to hold meetings. “The open internet allows people of color and other vulnerable communities to bypass traditional media gatekeepers. Without Net Neutrality, ISPs could block speech and prevent dissident voices from speaking freely online. Without Net Neutrality, people of color would lose a vital platform.”(Net neutrality: everything you need to know).

The new more powerful internet service providers will have a lot more power over how the internet functions and what is allowed and what is not allowed. This means that they will be able to control what is and is not allowed on the internet. This may mean the growing of questionable content on the internet because if they can pay some money there is nothing people can do to get rid of it. Another thing is that small businesses will have a hard time growing and competing with giants like Google or Facebook because they will always be able to pay for a better connection. As David Pogue of the Scientific American says “If big companies such as Netflix and Google could pay to get special treatment—faster speeds, more bandwidth—little startups would be at a disadvantage.”(Pogue). This means that most of the companies will stay where they are and will not be replaced by new companies.

The new net neutrality rules will change the internet forever, whether it means that the internet becomes a place where only the rich go to or a new faster and safer internet where businesses prosper is still undecided. Currently, the new net neutrality rules are only in place in America but it is likely that the rest of the world may soon follow.

Works Cited
“13 Pros And Cons Of Net Neutrality." Vittana. N.p., 2017. Web. 12 Dec. 2017.
Fung, Brian. "The FCC Just Voted To Repeal Its Net Neutrality Rules, In A Sweeping Act Of    Deregulation." Washington Post. N.p., 2017. Web. 10 Jan. 2018.
Kelly, Bruce. "Net Neutrality Issue (Again): Pros And Cons." Investopedia. N.p., 2017. Web.    14 Dec. 2017.
"Net Neutrality: What You Need To Know Now." Free Press. N.p., 2017. Web. 12 Dec. 2017.

Pogue, David. "The Great Net Debate." Scientific American. N.p., 2014. Web. 10 Jan. 2018.