Are the Streets Safe? | Teen Ink

Are the Streets Safe?

December 6, 2017
By Anonymous

The streets in Lakeview are a major problem that concerns all residents in the area. The streets are responsible for tire blowouts and other unnecessary problems. Although the streets are dangerous to anyone driving, biking, or even walking down them, the city has barely made any attempt toward repairing the streets. It is a shame that an area as nice as Lakeview is forced to deal with such unkempt streets. This problem is important to me because my family and I live in Lakeview, and we are a prime example of how the streets affect people’s everyday lives. We have always used the back alley to park in the back of my house because the street in the front is too bad to park on. It is also very dangerous when the streets flood because when the water fills the holes in the street, it is hard to determine how deep the water is. Anyone could drive down the street and accidentally get water in their car because they can not tell how deep the unavoidable hole in the middle of the street is. It is also very dangerous for children who play outside because they can get injured by tripping over cracks in the concrete or falling in a pothole. There are also many people in the area who walk at night or in the early morning when it is still dark outside. These people are in danger of harming themselves or others if they cannot see the dips or cracks in the sidewalk as they are walking. The focus is on repairing the damaged streets so that Lakeview can become a more beautiful and safer community. This problem is way too important to go unnoticed, so my solution is simply to fix the streets.


 Since the people of Lakeview lack the authority and funding to fix the streets, it is up to the city to fix them for us. Our money from taxes that we pay to live in Lakeview should cover the expenses for new streets in the neighborhood. The main goal here is to fix all of the streets in Lakeview. I understand that this process will take a lot of time, money, and effort, but it is something that needs to happen. Most of the Lakeview population can agree with me that we need to take action and start working on this solution to better our community. Although the city has most of the authority regarding this issue, we can use our voice to inspire and hopefully push them into wanting to help fix our streets now. It is up to us to keep speaking out about this issue until the city has had enough and wants to help.


If we can get the city to fix our streets, Lakeview will become safer and more appealing to potential homeowners. This solution will also provide safer and less dangerous streets for people to drive down and children to play in. Fixing the streets will not only make them safer and less dangerous, but it will also make them look more pleasing. Trust me, there is nothing more disappointing than driving down the street looking at beautiful houses while dodging bumps and potholes in the streets. Hopefully after a remodel on the streets, Lakeview will become more beautiful than ever. I know that the people of Lakeview want nothing more than to see their cracked and buckled streets being torn up after all this time. Of course, the construction will be a small inconvenience, but the outcome will be worth the trouble. This issue has been a topic of discussion for so long, and I think it is important we get this job done as soon as possible.