What's Up with Betsy DeVos? | Teen Ink

What's Up with Betsy DeVos?

By alyssaky BRONZE, Frederick, Maryland
alyssaky BRONZE, Frederick, Maryland

Betsy DeVos has been active in politics and has been elected chairman of the Michigan Republican party four times; with political efforts now focused on “advancing educational choices,” claims her website. Her list of credentials includes being the chairwoman for both the American Federation for Children and The Philanthropy Roundtable while also serving on other national and local boards that help the community in some way. However, what has DeVos really done for education thus far?

In her home state of Michigan, DeVos has been behind the spread of charter schools. These schools are publicly funded and independent, established by teachers, parents, or community groups under the terms of a charter with local or national authority. Unfortunately, these schools have below state average test scores in both reading and math. Furthermore, DeVos is a member of the movement to privatize public education. This means using public funds to pay for private school tuition. The Washington Post reported that Public Education advocates “fear DeVos will propel America’s public education system toward destruction.” DeVos has also claimed that she wants to divert money, now spent on public education, to private schools that are allowed to turn students away or kick students out based on their gender identity or sexual orientation.

Additionally, DeVos has a lack of experience. She is not an educator nor an education leader. She is also not an expert in pedagogy, the method and practice of teaching, or of school governance. DeVos never attended a public school, worked in one, or sent her children to one. During her confirmation hearing, DeVos revealed that she has a lack of knowledge and preparation for the job. While both republicans and democrats supported DeVos at the hearing, being deemed “a champion of education… for poor kids”, the most controversial statement was made when she was asked about guns within schools. DeVos never took an exact stance on the subject matter, however; in case of grizzly bears, yes grizzly bears, then guns would be essential. With no plans, except for outdated and ineffective policies that are harmful to education, says USA News, DeVos was still nominated as Secretary of Education.

Since she was sworn in on February 7, 2017, DeVos has insulted teachers at a middle school, bashed protesters, said it would be fine if the Department of Education was shut down, complained about her critics, dismissed the hard work of teachers accommodating special needs students, made conflicting stances on common core, and made it clear that her top priority is to find alternatives to traditional public schools. So, what does this mean for teachers, American students, and their parents? It means that teachers, parents, and students must follow guidelines set by a woman who is not fit for her job. It means that teachers are going to be working for a system they do not believe in. It means parents are going to be uncertain about how their children's future education. It means that students, particularly public school students, will be learning in an environment that DeVos wants to take away.

The underlying theme in all of Betsy DeVos’s decisions is money, and how she will get money. Her decisions lack regard for the majority of students as she turns a blind eye to many important issues. DeVos’s continuation as Secretary of Education instills fear in me as a high school senior and hopeful teacher as I will take on many of the changes during her candidacy. To me, it is unfair that a woman like Betsy DeVos ever got the title of Secretary of Education.