The American Dream | Teen Ink

The American Dream

By literarynongenius SILVER, South Carolina, South Carolina
literarynongenius SILVER, South Carolina, South Carolina

There is this nation with an absurd notion that all of its people can easily widen their chance of financial prosperity; almost as easily as this land’s society has widened the gap between minorities and majorities. There is a national vision of the epitome of happiness as having a suburban home and a superficial, cookie-cutter family. There is this dream, or in other words: a hope, an ideal, and a desire, that defies the reality of a government’s problem with inequality. There is this bandage concealing the wounds that lay deep beneath the skin of a government's social framework. But it cannot mask the blood, sweat, and tears of those who have labored for this nation and received economic satisfaction less than stability. For this ruling body has perpetuated the idea that hard work grants security; no matter who you are. But it was also founded upon stolen soil, built in part by slaves stripped of their self-worth, and populated by women dehumanized by its founding fathers. A message of an equal opportunity of success for all is rooted in inequality; this is The American Dream.

I believe that The American Dream is false facade inspired by a wish to be seen as superior to other countries; a pretense mandated by pride. It means that all Americans can meet a financial state that ensures their ability to provide for themselves and anyone else they have authority over (i.e. family). However, not everyone in the U.S. earns enough income that allows them to pay their bills and have food on the table every night. Poverty may be due to mental or physical trauma that distracts one from progress, an inadequate education system/curriculum, an inability to perform well in school, or the refusal of advanced academic opportunities provoked by discrimination. An occupation is the primary source of riches for most American citizens, and the aforementioned reasons for insufficient funds contribute to the likelihood of having a job with little pay. Also, it usually is simpler for someone who fits the social norm to decrease the probability of a fragile economic position. Those painted as inferior by the majority of society will have more difficulty finding a job. They will probably encounter an unfair bias to people unlike themselves by the common employer. Low income may be a reflection of social systems that benefit the typical white American male. That is to say, “Poverty is primarily the consequence of the way society is organized and resources are allocated. The decisions over how to eradicate poverty in the end are political choices about the kind of society we want” (Causes of Poverty and Inequality 1). It is impossible to guarantee that a cycle of poverty will cease to exist through “hard work” when there is such unequal treatment of people groups. Perhaps this message of perseverance developing wealth of was inclined to impress the country The United States seceded from. For the origins of The American Dream can be credited to the author of The Declaration of Independence. Thomas Jefferson wrote that “all men are created equal” in this document that created The United States and ratified its independence from England. But as his pen touched the paper, did he not recognize that his hundreds of slaves, working relentlessly on his three plantations, were human? Did he consider the Native Americans whom he inflicted the method of “forced removal” upon equal to himself? The various ethnic groups that occupy this nation obtained no rights whatsoever in the eyes of society during 1776. As well, was Jefferson's wife, who was not wanted to perform any tasks but childbirth and household chores, included in the phrase that mentions “men?” Did he presume that humanity is limited to males solely? This history of unethicality that has laid the foundation for America has not come crashing down, but it has persisted to today. The United States’ beginning was inequality, and its laws perpetuated injustice. Therefore, there are many traces of these immoral legislations in contemporary American society despite the addition of rights for minorities. Furthermore, “even given the perfectly just operation of society, the injustice of the past will be automatically transmitted to the future.” (Ryan Cooper 2). The past will never erase; its attributes will only be modified into what we call the present. The American Dream is a lie told by privileged historical figures blinded by their high hierarchical status. There may be many offerings of financial growth for American citizens, but they are not always achieved with a wish upon a star.

Some have to dream longer and harder than others to accomplish their aspirations, and some never discover their hopes to be actuality. There is a reason it is titled a dream and not a guarantee. You must be spellbound by radical beliefs customized by greed to believe in such an outlandish tale. The dream doesn't belong in a land like America, or any other land in that case. It belongs in a fantasy land; it is a dream for a surreal place that will never be known.