Voice | Teen Ink

Voice

January 18, 2017
By Anonymous

Everyone should feel like they have a voice and that their opinions are being heard. This very idea is a crucial part of this country’s reputation. Due to current events, the question of whether the electoral college is efficient and fair has become a relevant discussion. When the results of the 2016 election were revealed, Americans abandoned the only system that promises every state a voice during a presidential campaign. Many Americans have turned against this system because they are unhappy with the results of the election. This, however, is not enough to completely invalidate the electoral college. People must learn how to put aside their personal feelings and see that this system is the best method of providing a voice to everyone across the country. There have only been five times in history when a candidate running for presidency has won the electoral votes and not the majority, thus proving that the system is working. If America were to get rid of the electoral college and base the election off of a majority vote, the election would be ran by only a couple of states. A national popular vote would eliminate geographic balance because a candidate could win by gaining support in only the most populated states, such as New York and California. It’s important that people continue to debate that the electoral college is the best method of electing the president of the United States to ensure that the entire country is involved in the election process. We, as a country, should support a system that guarantees a voice to all 50 states.