Drones: Are They Good for Society? | Teen Ink

Drones: Are They Good for Society?

January 16, 2017
By pej22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
pej22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Drone safety is causing a big uproar in nations all around the world, many people disagree to the fact of allowing them in our community. They would argue that drones are crashing into buildings, airplanes, and boats, making it not safe for people in the country. However, most evidence shows that these drones are helping society rather than making it a disaster, and they should stay in the community.


Would you believe someone if they told you that, highly trained professionals (that have been working in the drone industry for years), are purposely crashing drones making it unsafe for citizens? Sure, accidents happen, but very rarely. What is the chance that a drone could kill you by just patrolling the sky? According to the article, “Above the Fray: In a Storm,” these drones are helping the nation by capturing information about Hurricane Matthew in just a few minutes. Rather than walking around taking hours to capture just as much, or even less information. “Once in the air, the drone will document damage to the area caused by Hurricane Matthew.” Page 1. These drones are getting put to substantial use, helping the government, big companies (like Amazon), and people all across the nation. Drones are being a big help to the community rather than being a disaster.    


Drones have been a big help to the community like helping troubles with Hurricane Matthew in Haiti, but they also help reduce diseased mosquitoes. In the article, “Florida Dispatches Drone to find Marsh Mosquito Breeding Grounds,” investigators are finding ways to help reduce mosquitoes in local swamps. “Our people on the ground have to walk an hour to a marsh and find out what’s there, said Michael Doyle, (who is apart of an organization that helps reduce diseased mosquitoes). It’s hard to cover all those places at once. If something like this could allow them to map where the water is, we could move a lot more quickly. I think that these drones will help locate, and kill these mosquitos.” Page 2. This makes it easier for workers trying to locate, test, and kill mosquitos so they don’t have a risk of getting infected themselves. This is a big help to society, making it easier for people. In the long run,  drones are being a big help to the community rather than being a disaster.
Just like a helicopter, drones patrol the sky too. So, do you think that helicopters should not be aloud in communities? It is true that drones are crashing into buildings, airplanes, and such. However, that is only when they are in improper, untrustworthy hands. SInce these people are getting their hands on drones, the government has made it official. Since that has happened we have put drones to work in the community. For example, they help farmers with everyday troubles while keeping their crops in line. In the article “More farmers are using drones to help tend crops,” farmers across the world are using drones to examine their crops seeing if there are any issues or things that need to be done for them to survive. Chase Sellnow, who is apart of demilitarized zone aerial (DMZ), a major drone safety business, said “What normally would take a couple of hours, in scouting time, can be done in minutes.” These drones help farmers save time, and money. That is another reason why drones are being a big help to the community rather than being a disaster.   
Drones are a big part of society, helping fix many problems that seem to be a big deal. They save money, time, and help many people with recurring problems that do not seem to go away. Therefore, drones are being a big help to the community rather than being a disaster.


Overall, drone safety can be a confusing topic, and many people think it is not safe for flying aircrafts into the realms of any city, for the circumstances of being dangerous to citizens. However, these drones are helping more people than making it dangerous for people. These drones are in trustworthy hands, and made sure they are in acceptable care so know one gets hurt.They have have changed the 21st century for good. Like helping farmers tend crops, being a big help to those in Haiti in their troubles with Hurricane Matthew, or even fighting against diseased mosquitoes.