Refugee Crisis: Are the Risks Worth Taking? | Teen Ink

Refugee Crisis: Are the Risks Worth Taking?

January 16, 2017
By ame22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
ame22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The refugee crisis around the world is stirring questions whether United States governors should or should not bring them into our country. Some people argue that United States governors should be welcoming to the refugees as they are torn from their countries. Others argue it is too unsafe for the citizens of their country for the government to allow refugees in. In this writing the reader will learn why the governors should be able to block refugees from entering in the country.


“Remember when Obama boasted how well the government’s health care would work? It turned out to have all sorts of problems.” (page 2 of PRO/CON: Should state governors be able to reject Syrian refugees?) The citizens of the US should be able to trust their President but, with these alarming questions rising how can they? The President argues that bringing in refugees is a good idea however, Obama may be misleading us in the wrong direction. It is hard to agree with someone who may be misleading his country.


A second reason why it is unsafe for the refugees to come into our country is the Islamic State may sneak in along with the refugees. “If even a few Islamic State fighters slipped in with the refugees, that could be a huge problem. The danger of that happening is worth taking seriously.” (page 2). Attacks such as 911 could happen if they sneak in. Do you want that to happen? Dangers to older people, young people, young adults, those precious lives are not worth losing.


An example why United States governors should be able to block refugees is that refugees may cause countries to make new laws. “Hungary is building a 13-foot-high fence on the border with Siberia.” (page 2 of Migrants in crisis: Stranded at Hungary train station; drowned near Turkey) Laws may become more complex. Although the refugees may have visa, evidence supports that visas are not as efficient as they should be. In addition they take an extensive amount of time. That is a huge problem. Visas not being efficient enough along with taking too long to be accepted, that is quite chilling.


It is true that the refugees are enjoying life in the United States. “‘When I get here I’m so happy.’ said Mutan Myint, a refugee from Myanmar. ‘I don’t have any worries.’” (page 1 of A farm in Chicago? Asian and African refugees love their small, green space). Farming is good for the refugees’ mental health as well as physical health. However space is scarce for them. “In Bhuntan ‘we had big land,’ said Buddhi Darjee, ‘Here we have very limited space.’” (page 2 of A farm in Chicago? Asian and African refugees love their small, green space). Space is dwindling and the refugees Obama said were coming haven’t even come in. How much space will be left then?
In conclusion the governors of the United States should be able to block refugees for the safety of the citizens. The Islamic State could terrorize this country and start a war on this land. The space is slowly dwindling and the refugees could take up much of our small space. Even though the refugees need a safe space the citizens of the United States also need a safe place to be as well.  It’s very difficult for the government to not help the refugeesbut it’s for our safety.