Drones: Are They Worth it or Not? | Teen Ink

Drones: Are They Worth it or Not?

The use of drones in most applications (Agricultural,military and recreational)  is a highly contested subject because of the varying people, governments and companies weighing in on the issue. Some may argue that drones are a dangerous and ineffective way of accomplishing tasks. Others argue that employing drones are an improvement in a variety of different fields . Not every job may be perfect for a drone, but for a few areas like agriculture drones can be faster, cheaper than employing someone to do the same job.

Drones for recreational use.
Flying drones can be a fun perfectly safe pass time and buying them creates a new market and new jobs. Although people are worried about collisions between drones and manned aircraft there has not been anyone killed by a recreational drone to date. Here is a quote from Brendan Schulman of the DJI: “The record should speak for itself” said Brendan schulman of the DJI The Chinese drone maker that dominates the recreational market. “In tens of millions of hours of drones flying nobody has been killed by a recreational” drone he said. Drones will also create more job openings in factories because people have to make the drones or operate the machines that make them. This is shown by a study published by the the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, the study says that commercial drones will create 100,000 jobs over the course of 10 years.

Drones for military use.
Drones help save soldiers lives and take down threats. Drones can save soldier's lives by making sure they are not in combat in the first place. Drones are unmanned aircraft which means that they don’t have a pilot, so if they are shot down no one is killed and only money is lost.  “Military drones can linger over Terrorist dens in Afghanistan for hours at a time and launch missiles, all while under the control of a pilot halfway across the world” ---From Issue overview, Drone laws. Although drones kill civilians in some of their strikes and are a highly contested subject on if they are to inaccurate to be effective, how much more accurate would a pilot be under the threat of losing his life if a mistake is made. In both cases the drones or fighters are controlled by humans and humans are not perfect. The only way to avoid civilian casualties would be to stop bombing and fighting terror groups like ISIS all together, and that is a bad idea.

Drones for Agricultural use
New drones will have applications in the agricultural field. For example Drones are already helping out in the agricultural field, in fact they can already be seen helping farmers in the state wisconsin. Although some people say that drones will take away jobs from the farming industry, the loss of jobs will be entirely up to the farmers. Some farmers do not plan on buying a drone themselves but instead are interested in hiring someone that will use a drone to make field scouting and other observation jobs on the farm more accurate and efficient.  An example of this is from the article “Farm use of drones to take off as feds loosen restrictions” --Another farmer, Bobby Hutchison, says he is hoping the man he hires weekly to walk his fields and observe his crops gets a drone, to make the process more efficient and accurate.

Drones are not perfect.
Although drones are a solution to many problems, they are not perfect. Military drones  kill more civilians than they do terrorist organization leaders. Recreational drones have had many close encounters with manned aircraft and some people have lost their jobs and drones have been used for bad things such as carrying drugs. The answer to this though is not to try tear down a several billion dollar economy boosting industry which is not going away anytime soon, but to impose stronger laws for drones. For instance it could be made slightly harder for people to get their hands on drones capable of carrying things or laws making the distance you can fly towards manned aircraft much greater. As for drones killing civilians, as stated earlier stopping the fight against terror because of this would be a bad idea that would let terror groups run ramped leaving even more civilians in danger. 

Drones although a highly contested subject are beneficial for military and agricultural applications. This matters because drones will soon be everywhere and smaller recreational drones can be easily found at most big box stores. Drones used in the military also help keep soldiers safe because the drones can be controlled halfway around the world and do not require troops on the ground to operate. This means troops do not have to be sent across seas and possibly killed in action. In all drones seem to be worth it.