Trump Versus Clinton Is a Good Thing– Really! | Teen Ink

Trump Versus Clinton Is a Good Thing– Really!

By Babobaby BRONZE, Unknown, New Jersey
Babobaby BRONZE, Unknown, New Jersey

"Great. Now we're all bloody inspired."

The internet hates Donald Trump.

From the #NeverTrump hashtag to the Donald Trump toilet paper that has reportedly sold out on Amazon, his name has been mentioned quite often– and not always in positive contexts. These days, you can’t seem to turn on a computer or listen to the news without hearing someone say how terrible he is and how he is dividing America.

But it’s not as if all the others are for Hillary Clinton, either. #WhichHillary and #WhyImNotVotingForHillary are just two of the viral anti-Hillary hastags that the internet has created. Preying on her email scandal, opponents are relentless in trying to bring her down.

And here’s the inevitable: even with all the ridicule on both sides, one of these two most hated candidates in American history will become the 45th American president.

But the Trump-Clinton election could actually be a good thing for America!

According to The American Presidency Project, in 2012, only 54.87% of the eligible population in the US voted in the presidential election. With the number being consistently in the 50-60% range, it’s not a stretch to say that America has a problem with people not voting. A lot of people don’t have the time or money, or they just don’t care.

That’s not the case this year, though. Voters might not love either candidate– but they sure do hate one! In the election that people have described as “voting for the lesser of two evils”, Americans are sure to vote against the candidate they hate more. They might not have had strong feelings of either love or hate in the past few elections, but many do now.

And these strong feelings will most likely lead to a higher voter turnout. More people voting means that the results of the 2016 presidential election will reflect America’s preferences better than before.

Further, the general election will be a time for all voters to think carefully about whether or not the candidates can actually carry out the “plans” they have made for the country. Up till now, with all the positive/negative excitement about Trump, many people have thought of the election as a joke. Even now, in the month of June, some are still calling Trump a “joke”, despite his success in the polls. Now, things are going to change. With the virtual certainty of Clinton or Trump becoming president, people are going to look at the two candidates with more scrutiny. They will find more faults. This will lead to even stronger feelings, or the making of better choices. The general election will make people more careful.

on Jun. 27 2016 at 9:15 pm
JustAnIdea SILVER, Moraga, California

"Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music" ~Friedrich Nietzsche

This is so true - it's really a "pick your poison" situation.