Open Letter to the American | Teen Ink

Open Letter to the American

By Shurp BRONZE, Clayton, Wisconsin
Shurp BRONZE, Clayton, Wisconsin

Dear Politicians and Citizens of America,

This election cycle is perhaps the most important yet in the short life of the United States of America.  The national debt is growing, Social Security cannot sustain itself, and more than a third of the nation’s citizens directly receive government welfare.  The system we follow as a nation cannot continue in its current state, but in our national pursuit of change, we cannot forget the principles upon which the United States was founded. Our next president will decide how our country will face many of these issues, so does it not make sense to be involved? 

At the end of the 18th century, this great nation was born as rebellious settlers and colonists sought basic personal freedoms and the right to do as they pleased in their daily lives, with minimal government interference.  Thousands of people fought and died for their beliefs to create their idea of an imperfect paradise with a few basic principles.  The principles were so valuable to them, they were eager to die in pursuit of them, yet we are hesitant or even afraid to exercise that for which they fought.

Shortly after the Revolutionary War, a few brave souls met in Pennsylvania to construct a Constitution that balanced government solely in the hands of the people, and though the logistics have been changed over time, the principles have withstood the test of time.  A nation thrives when people can speak their minds and maintain privacy and property, and that’s driven the United States from a struggling conglomeration of former colonies to perhaps the most powerful nation to ever exist.  It is important now more than ever for people to speak their minds.  In the 2012 presidential election, barely more than half of voting-age citizens actually went to the polls, and far fewer than that ever consider active involvement.  It’s become far too common to see people belittled, silenced, or censored for speaking opinions which vocal groups disagree with, and such persecution cannot be tolerated.  Censorship destroys the open line of communication between citizens and lawmakers that is absolutely vital to the betterment of our nation.

At the same time, those involved in politics and/or campaigning for public office must exercise the same rights to a greater degree.  While there is no doubt that it is effective to pander to and please the people by saying things the voters like to hear, those actions slowly erode and destroy the foundation of democratic government.  This manipulation of beliefs has clouded American politics so completely, a recent Gallup poll shows that only 19% of Americans trust their government.  The only way to truly restore trust is with honesty and transparency.  This requires honest people running for office and voters who are able to separate true statements from lies and misleading statements.  Politicians must spend time with the average citizen, the voter, the constituent, and the people themselves must be the ones to cause this change.
The so-called “career politicians” who constantly seek votes above all else especially damage trust in American politics as along with their parties, those people turn politics into two sets of exact opposite beliefs, leaving the voter feeling like their votes are simply for the lesser of two evils, rather than a true show of support.  George Washington, our first president, was vehemently against political parties, and by abandoning his advice, our country has divided itself into two halves that cannot agree on anything.  I’m not claiming to be opposed to parties, or the two party system, but political parties as they exist today have only limited voters, as parties tend to nominate candidates that fit a specific set of opinions with little variance.
As an American citizen, it is everyone’s duty to enact change, but that process is often long and tedious.  Those with power in politics don’t tend to accept change very readily, instead seeking to maintain their positions, so the change must take place at a grassroots level.  Everyone is capable of becoming involved with county or even state politics.  To fundamentally change American political structure, the average citizen simply needs to care.

With cautious hope,

A concerned American

Seeing the greatest nation in the world crumbling as politicians continue to change those principles our nation was founded upon takes its toll, and I've had about enough.  These are my views on how we can fix this deteriorating situation.