Stand Up and Stop This Madness | Teen Ink

Stand Up and Stop This Madness

By Gemini01 SILVER, Charlotte, North Carolina
Gemini01 SILVER, Charlotte, North Carolina

The heart is the same as heaven and earth

Hello there everyone. Today, I’m hear to talk to you about terrorists, specifically ISIS. This group first made itself known in April of 2013 after trying to merge with the Al-Nursa Front (also known as Jabhat Al-Nursa), and has been active ever since. Their acts of murder and destruction have shocked the world on more than a few occasions. So much to the point that other terrorist groups, such as al-Qaeda, have criticized their brutality. They have been left unchecked for too long, and gained too much power over others through the use of fear. But I’m sure you are all wondering just why they do this, right? Well, that’s what I’m here to answer and really, it’s not as complicated as it may seem.

Anyways, ISIS claims to be Islamic, but Muslims say that what they’re doing isn’t Islamic at all, correct? Well, based on what I’ve found, the answer to that question would be right, had it been in the normal interpretation of Islam. What ISIS has taken and interpreted Islam in their own way which, even though it is very violent, is true if you look at it in the same way they do. You see, what I’m saying is that ISIS bases its actions on a literal reading of the Quran, the Islamic sacred book. When I say literal though, I mean, very literal. For example, they say the attacks on Paris were a fulfillment of the Quran in which Allah (their God) himself expelled the unfaithful infidels or unbelievers. Now, think for a minute, if you take the fulfillment of the Quran literally, what do you get? You get beheadings, raids, bombings, and every other crime ISIS has committed. And, yes, before people start to ask themselves, I know expel usually means to force someone or something out of a place but technically, that’s still what ISIS is doing. Only this case is a bit different. Different meaning that the place is life, and the someone or something is everyone who doesn’t follow their beliefs.

So yes, ISIS is Islamic, they’re just taking everything stated in the Quran very literally.  But, that’s not the only thing they’re doing that is religious in nature. In fact, they portray their whole war against us in purely religious terms. They do this in two ways. One is that they call their enemies Crusaders, which means “holders of the Cross”. The other reason is that they say a Crusader campaign is in place against them with France and other countries as its leaders. For those of you who might not get it, they’re pretty much saying this is a modern day Crusade, which is any war under papal sanction (which is the permission of the Church), that is being lead against them. In other words, a Holy war. This is proven more so by ISIS stating that France didn’t wage war against the Islamic State, but instead against Islam itself. 

Now, some of you who might have done your own research know that the Quran states that the killing of innocent people is forbidden. But, that’s what ISIS has been doing in the most brutal ways possible, right? Well, the thing is, that’s how we think of what they are doing. That’s the way we, Americans, Europeans, Muslims, and so forth, see it through our eyes and our thinking. We see these insane radicals that are killing innocent people for no good reason. But through the eyes and thinking of ISIS, that’s not the case. It’s the complete opposite. What they see is themselves following their religion, their beliefs, and carrying out the will of Allah by expelling the infidels. Through their eyes, their slaughter of others is completely justified and right because based on their version of Islam, everyone who doesn’t follow their version is an infidel who must either convert or be killed.

So, as you can see, the answer as to why ISIS does what they do is pretty simple, it just needs to be looked at differently. But this comes to another problem. To them, this is the true meaning of Islam, and unless there is some kind of mass conversion, which I doubt, this is what they’re going to keep on thinking. That’s why they are so dangerous, they believe in something that to them says that all unbelievers should be killed. Whether it be man, woman, or child, if you don’t believe in their form of Islam, you are supposed to be brutally murdered, and from what we’ve seen, they are fully capable of doing that. That’s why I ask everyone of the world, we must unite. We must throw away old rivalries and differences to defeat a common enemy. It doesn’t matter what your race is or what your religion is because if we don’t stop them now, all of that might be gone. This terrorist group is more dangerous than any we have ever seen before. So please, stand up and help to stop this madness. Stand up, to end ISIS.