A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity

I thought today would never come. The days before this one droned on as if each hour were a thousand. At last the long anticipated day came and I walked eagerly to find a perfect spot on the Mall. Since darkness covered my range of vision, I flipped open my cell phone and used the faint light to illuminate the way. As I jostled spectators to find a spot, the bitter wind seemed to whoosh directly towards me. Many people were huddled in groups for warmth, so I could only make out the color of their jackets, hats, and scarves. It was a blur of color.
Finally, the sun crept over the horizon, and it rose over The Capitol. I quickly grabbed my camera and took some amazing shots of the sun over The Capitol. My camera was one of the many that had its flash on. The flashes of the cameras were blinding. After standing for what I thought was an eternity, I became exhausted and my feet felt like they were stuffed with giant boulders.

I glanced at my watch and saw the time; my heart thumped quickly. From every direction, I heard laughter, teeth chattering, and cries of joy. American Flags waved, rippling through the wind. The smell of hope, joy, and anticipation spread through the crowd. After the 21-gun salute, the gunpowder rose through the air. "Hail to the Chief" played as the memories of this day whirled through my mind.