Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

LukeM said...
Jun. 2, 2010 at 7:02 pm:
I think few people actually realize how hard it must be to be president. Well-written.

shakesbeer replied...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 6:47 am :
and the rest of us with intelligence do not understand how you can bring an empire to its knees in eight years. you can join us and stopping being one of the "few", us intellectuals are trying to figure out what type of genius trys to fight an idea with rockets. 

KK2013 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 4:13 pm :

Okay, your comments are completely uncalled for and does not even begin to make e respect your position "Shakesbeer". Oh, and the name doesn't help either.

And yes, I am sure that being the President must be extremely difficult, because you are affecting the entire country with your every move. that is a lot of pressure.

And "Shakesbeer" What did you expect him to do after 9/11??? Sit there and watch as terrorists continues to attack major places? what if your father had been in... (more »)

bluesky0728 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 8:27 pm :
First, the name's a play on words. shakesbeer, Shakespeare. Second, if my father (or mother) had been killed, I would want no other daughter to feel the pain of her innocent parents' death and would oppose war completely. Especially since the war had nothing to do with terrorists!!!!! Get informed!!!!!

DifferentTeen replied...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 11:55 am :

going to put in my 2 cents lol, no one take this the wrong way.

But the war has everything to do with terrorists. My mom saved newspapers from September 11, 2001, and I quote from the headlines "We are at War!" And the pictures below are from 9/11. I honestly don't like Bush, because 9/11 set him off and he decided we needed to go in there and help them out. Causing a war.

I love how you can bring out the best in people, and showing your respect for him in this article was... (more »)

DifferentTeen replied...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 11:58 am :
My article on the war explains my full view on the subject so I won't get into that. But I think 9/11 made us stronger, and we didn't have to go to war for that.

peace.frog.271 replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 9:27 pm :
Thank you LukeM for actually commenting on the article while everyone else can't seem to get over the politics in it. 

DifferentTeen replied...
Aug. 28, 2010 at 1:24 pm :
Hes not the only one who commented you know. I did and so did DallysGrrl.

Kara C. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 28, 2010 at 5:19 pm :
Haha ok. Thank you to EVERYONE who has commented on my article! I appreciate the feedback and am glad to have written something people are talking about!

DallysGrrl said...
May 17, 2010 at 1:30 pm:
NOW about the letter....I acually liked it. I am in no way a republican. not at all. but u wrote it very well and i respect you for that, even if i don't agree with you.

DallysGrrl said...
May 17, 2010 at 1:26 pm:
Emmalee....u definately did ur research. i didnt kno that bush did all of that stuff!! and i didnt exactly love him in the first place. u make an excellent point. and just letting everyone kno:OBAMA IS CHANGING THINGS. AND CHANGE IS EXACTY WAT WE NEED RIGHT NOW. HELLO!! PLEAZ TELL ME U DIDNT THINK THAT THE COUNTRY WAS GOING JUST FINE B4 HE CAME!!

peace.frog.271 replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 9:30 pm :

Another cliche of a young democrat.. how sad. As a not so wise Sarah Palin once said, "How's that hopey-changey stuff working out for ya?"

Though I do not agree on Palin with almost anything, this statement could not have been truer. Obama is a crock. You'll see, if you can't already, exactly what a fraud of a politician he is.

DallysGrrl replied...
Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:55 pm :
yeah ok watever i dont really care. ok? thats my opinion. u can have urs, just let me have mine.

DallysGrrl replied...
Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:03 pm :
OH and Peace Frog? I thought u were just preaching about how we should focus on the ARTICLE, not the politics in it.

soccerrules said...
May 10, 2010 at 2:18 pm:
I think you have forgotten to mention how president Bush brought us into the war and recession. He fought with Iraq on oil, war. He spent so much money on weapons and war stuff, that we went into the recession. I give Obama much credit for coming into this in such a hard time. He is trying his best and I think will succeed in time.

JohnCurleysnephue replied...
May 18, 2010 at 9:18 am :
soccerrules if you have a war you need weapons and there was no recession really until after the election and i think people should stop making up excuses for obama he is not an angel or god himself if he wanted that he would probably do that

LukeM replied...
Jun. 2, 2010 at 7:03 pm :
Congress decides who we war with, not the president. Regardless of Bush's feelings for the subject it came down to them.

shakesbeer replied...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 6:49 am :
oh be quiet the congress does not start wars bush requested it that is well known. 

Quinntre replied...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 2:45 am :
He requested it, they accepted it. They didn't have to. The President is a figure head the real power lays in Congress.

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:38 am :
They accepted it while they were misinformed.  Silly goose