Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

shakesbeer said...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 6:44 am:
what? are you serious i hope this is sarcasm. thanks bush for serving or country the worst presidential policy and presidency ever.  

Quinntre replied...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 2:44 am :
Hmm, he went to war with the terrorists and the countries that were harboring them, you know the same people who tried to kill us. It's funny how easy some people forget these things.

shakesbeer replied...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 4:37 pm :
and lets see how good your memory is when you are paying off bush's war debts with your retirement fund.

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:36 am :
They're terrorists.  We won't be able to beat them.  Especially by stretching out our forces.  War only makes our country weaker

shakesbeer replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 9:10 am :
and just to let you know the war in Iraq had absolutely nothing to do with terrorism or bin laden or 9/11 if you were actually paying attention it was started because bush lied and said saddam had weapons of mass destruction and he was dangerous. 

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 11:48 am :
Oh I'm fully aware of that.  However, for the longest time it seemed to be dubbed "the war on terror"

jazzledazzle replied...
Jul. 22, 2010 at 2:27 am :
Keep in mind that debt has risen insurmountably since Obama entered office; we're paying debt regardless.

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 22, 2010 at 11:41 am :
yup, let's all blame this on Obama.  Nevermind that Bush took a 200 billion dollar surplus and shot it dead

TommyOoOoO replied...
Jul. 24, 2010 at 8:05 am :
Has anybody who's saying Bush racked up waay too much debt in his presidency taken the time to crunch the numbers on how much money our current president has wasted in only one year?

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 24, 2010 at 10:56 am :
Spend money to get money

TommyOoOoO replied...
Jul. 24, 2010 at 2:05 pm :
Yeah, THAT makes sense...

lizzymwrites replied...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 4:19 am :
he means investing, silly

Maxwell replied...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 9:22 pm :
I would GLADLY pay off the war debt from ANY fund because I was and am, kept safe and sound in my bed. Do you really know the value of going to sleep wondering whether or not your girlfriend loves you, or worrying about making a speech, rather than wondering if your house will be blown up whilst you sleep, killing your family and you? Im not sure anyone outside of people that have experienced it know, and I will gladly pay any amount of money to keep our soldiers helathy so that thye can protect... (more »)

smilefever replied...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 1:01 pm :
shakesbeer thank you for bringing some facts and sense to the conversation. anyone who is in favor of the iraq and afghanistan wars, you cant begin to understand how brainwashed and naive you sound. have you heard of Guantanamo Bay?? i bet not.

Maxwell replied...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 4:54 pm :
Matter of fact, I do know of GB. And while some of its practices are questionable, addmittidly, it has saved countless lives. Thats indisputable.

smilefever replied...
Jul. 30, 2010 at 10:49 am :
questionable? your a llittle far off there, and no, instead it has killed hundreds of innocent lives. here are some details you might want to know before you carry on in ignorance. currently 14 prisoners in Guantanamo are known as “high-value detainees”, the rest mostly innocent collectively from over 40 countries. it takes about 100 million dollars a year to keep guantanamo running. and only 9 people in guantanamo have been charged with a crime. out of HUNDREDS who, many, have been ... (more »)

Maxwell replied...
Jul. 30, 2010 at 12:17 pm :
How can we know that some of those detainees arent extremely dangerous? Arent you glad you dont have suicide bombers popping in in your neighborhood?

smilefever replied...
Jul. 30, 2010 at 12:58 pm :
a few may be but we are imprisoning innocent citizens of countries we have no right to invade because why exactly, they look suspisious? Plus most want nothing to do with the U.S. we're just invading and barging in. the kind of people im most afraid of popping in my neighborhood are people like you.

shakesbeer replied...
Aug. 6, 2010 at 9:30 pm :
undisputable are you high no offense do you have any facts any evidence that GB has saved even a single life or even found a single "terrorist"

PuzzleLuver replied...
Nov. 9, 2010 at 4:08 pm :
I have said it before and i will say it again congress has to agree to war and congress was mostly democrats at the time