Letter to George Bush MAG

By Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

on Aug. 27 2010 at 9:24 pm
peace.frog.271 BRONZE, Pinehurst, North Carolina

"Let us remember as we chase our dreams into the stars that our first responsibility is to our Earth, to our children, to ourselves." -George W. Bush

This means to me that before we let ourselves fade, we must take care of ourselves and others.

Wow. Do you not get the jist of this whole site? This is what WE believe not what our parents believe. It takes a moron to think that only parents and old people could possibly watch Fox News and agree with George Bush. GOD FORBID someone young happens to be conservative. Get you head out of the sand. 

on Aug. 27 2010 at 2:35 pm
StarlightStormcloud, Pasadena, California
Well said :)

on Aug. 21 2010 at 10:23 am
BlindSamurai GOLD, Bridgewater, New Jersey

A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything.
-Malcolm X

I understand honor and respect towards leaders, but not respect that turns a blind eye. I'm sorry, but George Bush put us through the first war, brought is into Iraq on a false pretext in the name of oil drilling and corporate profit, and did not do nearly enough to alleviate the suffering brought on by Hurricane Katrina. Go look up Level 9 in New Orleans to see the aftermath to this day. Its good to honor and respect our leaders, and I'm sure that you are a great writer, but please do not honor the war criminal that George W. Bush made himself into.

Rimsha Khan said...
on Aug. 18 2010 at 9:23 am
definitely agreed we need more people to respect our leaders because their jobs are very difficult 

Whylime said...
on Aug. 9 2010 at 12:10 pm
Whylime, Brentwood, Tennessee

Grief is the price we pay for love -- Queen Elizabeth ll
Don't go there, I'll only follow -- ???
Why is a raven like a writing desk? -- The Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland
Chewing gum is really gross, chewing gum I hate the most -- Willy W.

thankyou for some sense tommy boy, thankyouuuuu.

shakesbeer said...
on Aug. 6 2010 at 9:30 pm
undisputable are you high no offense do you have any facts any evidence that GB has saved even a single life or even found a single "terrorist"

on Aug. 5 2010 at 11:58 am
DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

My article on the war explains my full view on the subject so I won't get into that. But I think 9/11 made us stronger, and we didn't have to go to war for that.

on Aug. 5 2010 at 11:55 am

going to put in my 2 cents lol, no one take this the wrong way.

But the war has everything to do with terrorists. My mom saved newspapers from September 11, 2001, and I quote from the headlines "We are at War!" And the pictures below are from 9/11. I honestly don't like Bush, because 9/11 set him off and he decided we needed to go in there and help them out. Causing a war.

I love how you can bring out the best in people, and showing your respect for him in this article was amazing, since my opinion is completely different. Kudos.

on Jul. 30 2010 at 12:58 pm
smilefever SILVER, Boulder, Colorado
a few may be but we are imprisoning innocent citizens of countries we have no right to invade because why exactly, they look suspisious? Plus most want nothing to do with the U.S. we're just invading and barging in. the kind of people im most afraid of popping in my neighborhood are people like you.

Maxwell said...
on Jul. 30 2010 at 12:17 pm
Maxwell, Rochdale, Massachusetts

"We are not retreating, we are merely advancing in another direction." General George S. Pattton, US Army

How can we know that some of those detainees arent extremely dangerous? Arent you glad you dont have suicide bombers popping in in your neighborhood?

on Jul. 30 2010 at 10:49 am
smilefever SILVER, Boulder, Colorado
questionable? your a llittle far off there, and no, instead it has killed hundreds of innocent lives. here are some details you might want to know before you carry on in ignorance. currently 14 prisoners in Guantanamo are known as “high-value detainees”, the rest mostly innocent collectively from over 40 countries. it takes about 100 million dollars a year to keep guantanamo running. and only 9 people in guantanamo have been charged with a crime. out of HUNDREDS who, many, have been there since 2002. i think that is very disputable maxwell

Maxwell said...
on Jul. 29 2010 at 4:54 pm
Maxwell, Rochdale, Massachusetts

Matter of fact, I do know of GB. And while some of its practices are questionable, addmittidly, it has saved countless lives. Thats indisputable.

on Jul. 29 2010 at 1:01 pm
smilefever SILVER, Boulder, Colorado
shakesbeer thank you for bringing some facts and sense to the conversation. anyone who is in favor of the iraq and afghanistan wars, you cant begin to understand how brainwashed and naive you sound. have you heard of Guantanamo Bay?? i bet not.

on Jul. 29 2010 at 12:51 pm
smilefever SILVER, Boulder, Colorado
jees, i feel like most teens just go along with what they hear on stupid fox news, other unreliable coorperate media sources and what theyre parents say. george bush was not only a bad president, personally i think he's the worst we've had since nixon. we had no reason to attack afghanistan or iraq and 9/11 was an event that the government could have prevented but conciously chose not to so popularity for the president would increase and we'd have an excuse to attack smaller, weaker countries.

Maxwell said...
on Jul. 27 2010 at 9:22 pm
Maxwell, Rochdale, Massachusetts

I would GLADLY pay off the war debt from ANY fund because I was and am, kept safe and sound in my bed. Do you really know the value of going to sleep wondering whether or not your girlfriend loves you, or worrying about making a speech, rather than wondering if your house will be blown up whilst you sleep, killing your family and you? Im not sure anyone outside of people that have experienced it know, and I will gladly pay any amount of money to keep our soldiers helathy so that thye can protect you and me. They are the ones that give us the right to have this discussion, and thanks to Bush, we are safe and sound, whether you want to admit it or not. Oh, how quickly we do forget INDEED!

on Jul. 27 2010 at 8:27 pm
bluesky0728 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
First, the name's a play on words. shakesbeer, Shakespeare. Second, if my father (or mother) had been killed, I would want no other daughter to feel the pain of her innocent parents' death and would oppose war completely. Especially since the war had nothing to do with terrorists!!!!! Get informed!!!!!

on Jul. 27 2010 at 8:23 pm
bluesky0728 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
No one brought us into the recession. Although it was made worse by... certain people, a recession would have happened anyway- that's just how the economy works. Booms, recessions, booms, recessions. You can't find a scapegoat for that.

on Jul. 27 2010 at 8:21 pm
bluesky0728 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
Even though I don't really... agree with George Bush, I like your respect and honor towards our leader and the fact that you see the best in people. Good job.

on Jul. 27 2010 at 4:53 pm
Tintinnabulation BRONZE, Glen Arm, Maryland

"Long enough have you dreamed contemptible dreams,
Now I wash the gum from your eyes,
You must habit yourself to the dazzle of the light and of every moment of your life."-Walt Whitman

What I like about this article is that it is thankful for the service of a president without disparaging the new one that is now in office. It commends Bush for his successful policies during 911 and Katrina, while "rallying behind the new president". There's no political extremism, no personal insults, no spelling errors made in the fury of composition. True patriotism. A job well done.

on Jul. 27 2010 at 4:19 am
lizzymwrites GOLD, Miami, Florida

The only people for me are the mad ones... the ones who never yawn and say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders against the stars." - Jack Kerouac

he means investing, silly

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!