Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

smilefever said...
jees, i feel like most teens just go along with what they hear on stupid fox news, other unreliable coorperate media sources and what theyre parents say. george bush was not only a bad president, personally i think he's the worst we've had since nixon. we had no reason to attack afghanistan or iraq and 9/11 was an event that the government could have prevented but conciously chose not to so popularity for the president would increase and we'd have an excuse to attack smaller, weaker countries.

chocolateandstuff replied...
Nov. 2, 2010 at 8:20 am

Mmm, wow. Well, the United States could not have prevented 9/11 from happening that was cimpletely unexpected. And are you saying that we should have NOT gone into Iraq and Afghanistan when thousands of Americans were forever affected and killed in these attacks?!

Watch Fox News. & not all the other garbage (CNN, NBC, MSNBC,etc.) It tells the truth even when people like YOU do not want to face it.

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
no i want to face the truth, but not a truth thats seen through nationalism, bigotry, or support for a political party, none of which i can get from fox. and yes we should have gone after al qaeda and the taliban, but we hardly have done anything to SOLVE the war. killing off an enemy that has an endless amount of people to recruit, and an endless amount of reasons to recruit them is impossible. we have killed at least ten times the amount of innocent people that died in 9/11, tha... (more »)

PuzzleLuver replied...
fox news is conservative, it's true, but that does not mean it is stupid, it is the truth. the reason it seems so different is that other news channels are very liberal and i believe they are stupid (that is my opinion)

cosider getting your news from either non profit news sources, books or out of country stations. thats the only way to get unbiased information with facts not distorted by monetary motives

katie717 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
While I disagree with a lot of your specifics, I appreciate your general sentiment. I like the idea of a fellow politically active American teenager rallying after each president in hopes of a United America. :)

i do too, thank you for the comment

bluesky0728 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Even though I don't really... agree with George Bush, I like your respect and honor towards our leader and the fact that you see the best in people. Good job.

StarlightStormcloud replied...
Well said :)

SassieCassie322 replied...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 1:44 am
i agree (that this was well said)

Eman_Neercs This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
What I like about this article is that it is thankful for the service of a president without disparaging the new one that is now in office. It commends Bush for his successful policies during 911 and Katrina, while "rallying behind the new president". There's no political extremism, no personal insults, no spelling errors made in the fury of composition. True patriotism. A job well done.

Kara C. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you so much! :)

shakesbeer said...
you suffer from a typical delsuion, reading what simply is not there, a sympton commonly found in kids going through the no child left behind program your actually a victimn. movig on some one who, tripples the national debt, and defends us from 9/11 by invading Iraq on a COMPELETLY unrelated charge to save us from weapons that did not exist and never found bin laden disgraced our country aboard with ridculous foreign policly. all bush did in the middle east was&nbs... (more »)

TommyOoOoO replied...
Jul. 24, 2010 at 8:03 am

What's wrong with bending over backward for Isreal??? God said "I will curse them that curse you and bless them that bless you." Every nation that has turned their back on Isreal has failed. And we're heading to be the next because Obama has practically slapped Isreal in the face.

Oh, and have you even looked at how much money Obama has wasted in the um year??? he's been in office? Yeah, you have absolutly no argument there. Sorry.

Whylime replied...
thankyou for some sense tommy boy, thankyouuuuu.

7Ariel7 replied...

i agree tommyoooo good job. --- i do agree though that America needs to mind her own business a little more. after all as anerica fights other nations wars for them our own security ans economy is failing. there is a time and a placew for everything.

ilovedayna replied...
yes however i would rather have bad economy than go to school scared that i might die. i disagree with a lot of obama's views on things but the soldiers know they might die and they are willing to for their country. if not, they're dumb to sign up. maybe it's other countries that need to mind their own business. we want to have a good impression on the world, and doing that keeps us safe. we want allies all the time so that they have our back when we get into trouble. that's why we are in the wa... (more »)

Maxwell said...
Bush didnt bring us into the recessio. The laws Clinton put into place did that. Things were set in motion before Bush was elected. Clinton's "balanced" budget? I believe there are some hidden figures there.

Maxwell replied...
Your forgetting a little something called Free Trade. And your soo articulate...

jazzledazzle replied...
Jul. 22, 2010 at 2:26 am
*you're, Mr. Articulate

bluesky0728 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
No one brought us into the recession. Although it was made worse by... certain people, a recession would have happened anyway- that's just how the economy works. Booms, recessions, booms, recessions. You can't find a scapegoat for that.