Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

7Ariel7 said...
Oct. 11, 2010 at 8:54 am:
well,  why do you say that Fox is corrupt? what evidence do have? Fox news happens to be conservative and isnt afraid to tell the truth about ALL, and thats the main reason that they are 'persecuted.' our nation used to side always with the truth and justice and now everything is about making money and giving people what they "wanna hear." Fox ahs continued in these steps unlike so many others who find no fault in comprimising.

PuzzleLuver replied...
Nov. 9, 2010 at 3:57 pm :
I agree with you and also the rest of the media is very liberal thats why fox news stands out 

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
Dec. 19, 2010 at 2:00 pm :
ok, lets compromise..ANY for-profit media is unreliable because it facts can be more or less boght, ect. please get your news from books, non for-profit media, even bbc. The thing about fox news(and msnbc) is that they are solely supposed to deliver the NEWS, facts and events undestorted by a conservative or liberal perspective respectively

WishfulDoerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 12:57 am :
Yeah, our nation sided with the truce and justice within the first five years of it being founded. It was always about making money and giving people what they want to hear, and it always will be, because if our country didn't do that, we'd have rebellions and attempts at overthrowing the government every other day (which in my opinion wouldn't be a bad idea at this point). Fox doesn't tell the truth, they're just as bad as the rest of the media and government.

morgiegetsmoney said...
it is beyond refreshing to read something written by someone, showing their respect and appreciation to former president bush and what all he has done. so thank you! :)

SassieCassie322 replied...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 1:44 am :
i couldn't agree more!

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution said...
Aug. 29, 2010 at 11:10 am:
i have the utmost respect for our soldiers, but the ways in which we had them RISK tHEIR LIvES is sick, the us hasnt seen a religious war ever, and as such we should of went about it differently because no matter how many guns we have the taliban could be around for a long time, a reason for that is they recruit kids with the allure of money(because they have none), and spouting lies, much of which can be soved through giving more aid to the countries and building more schools to prevent th... (more »)

BlindSamurai said...
Aug. 21, 2010 at 10:23 am:
I understand honor and respect towards leaders, but not respect that turns a blind eye. I'm sorry, but George Bush put us through the first war, brought is into Iraq on a false pretext in the name of oil drilling and corporate profit, and did not do nearly enough to alleviate the suffering brought on by Hurricane Katrina. Go look up Level 9 in New Orleans to see the aftermath to this day. Its good to honor and respect our leaders, and I'm sure that you are a great writer, but please do... (more »)

Oct. 23, 2010 at 1:06 am :
i love you., MILITARIES LIKE THE MAFIA, YOU PAY FOR PROTECTION

PuzzleLuver replied...
Nov. 9, 2010 at 3:59 pm :
congress has to approve of war and at that time congress was full of democrats

Nov. 17, 2010 at 8:43 pm :
then theyr scum too, its not about political parties anymore because theyv both become sports teams, they dont care whats best for the nation as long as they beat each other

toxsickfiend replied...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 8:59 am :
I guess he should've ignored the intelligences telling him that Iraq had WMDs. I also guess it was pointless even though we discovered that they were obtaining the means to. That chemical lab just slips everyone's mind these days.

PolartheBard replied...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 5:57 pm :

Let's get this straight right now. It's the Ninth Ward, not Level Nine. 

Governor Blanco ought to have sent in the request for aid FAR earlier than she did, and in that respect, she was wrong. I love how everyone thinks that just because the President holds that title that he can just make things happen instantaneously without having to go through proper procedure. 

George Bush is no war criminal. Have you considered, even for the briefest of moments, that perhaps the ... (more »)

Amacina replied...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 6:41 pm :

For real? Level Nine? It's the Ninth Ward.

And as for Hurricane Katrina, it was the governer of Lousisana, Blanco, who did not accept the help. Help was offered, but she assumed it could be handled with whom they had, but it didn't work out that way. It was a lot more than she expected and for that shortsightedness, she's out of office. So stop blaming Bush for every mess you can think of. I get he wasn't the best President in the world, but not every single little thing that went wron... (more »)

Jun. 23, 2011 at 1:01 am :

This is directed at PolartheBard:

Have you ever considered that the great former leader of our country could've lied? I'm so tired of the ignorance of people like you, I have no more laughter in me.

Rimsha Khan said...
Aug. 18, 2010 at 9:23 am:
definitely agreed we need more people to respect our leaders because their jobs are very difficult 

smilefever said...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm:
jees, i feel like most teens just go along with what they hear on stupid fox news, other unreliable coorperate media sources and what theyre parents say. george bush was not only a bad president, personally i think he's the worst we've had since nixon. we had no reason to attack afghanistan or iraq and 9/11 was an event that the government could have prevented but conciously chose not to so popularity for the president would increase and we'd have an excuse to attack smaller, weaker countries.

peace.frog.271 replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 9:24 pm :
Wow. Do you not get the jist of this whole site? This is what WE believe not what our parents believe. It takes a moron to think that only parents and old people could possibly watch Fox News and agree with George Bush. GOD FORBID someone young happens to be conservative. Get you head out of the sand. 

Sept. 13, 2010 at 7:51 pm :
no but i agree fox news is the most corrupt news source

7Ariel7 replied...
Sept. 29, 2010 at 2:26 pm :
funny. your version of "corrupt" is what used to be caled the "TRUTH"

Oct. 7, 2010 at 9:52 pm :
explain please