Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution said...
nice paper, but doesnt change the fact that i would have rid the world of that monster given the chance=)

Hmmmmmm replied...
No, he doesn't have to. But neither did Bush. Bush did it out of the kindness of his heart. I could never invision Obama telling Liberal radio hosts to go easy on Sarah Palin if she ever got elected, just because he knows how hard being President is.

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
what i said was too dogmatic and not fit for this site, though i hate the mans actions i apologize to anyone offended by the comment i made

WishfulDoer replied...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 12:54 am
Bush did it out of the kindness of his heart? B.u.ll S#!t. He did it to save face and make himself look good. (Although, compared to the massive s#!++y things he did, I don't think it did much good for him.)

susu.ali said...
yeah so what if president bush was a good father, friend, husband, or a godo person. i don't know him personally so i'm not going to derail his character. but, i personally don't think bush was a good president. he did nothing admirable. he got america involved in two wars overseas, that were uncalled for and unneccesary. while he didn't raise taxes, its our generation that is going to have to pay the 700 billion dollars he spent on war after 9/ll. admirable...i don't think so.

and he let thousands die in after hurricane katrina plus think of how many innocent people in iraq and afghanistan were killed

PuzzleLuver replied...
but if you remember the president cant declare war the congress has to agree and the congress at that time was full of democrats

abey2012 replied...
what is really funny is the people convicted for the 9/11 attacks were not even from Iraq

right i think there where 4 non arabs arrested but then they never showed it on the news again

Suhyoon replied...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 3:05 am

Yes and add another 700 Billion taxpayer money to that for that lovely SYNCHRONIZED passing of the bailout right before elections to bailout those Wall Street firms who practically run the treasury dep.

You do realize there was more than half a dozen former Goldman Sachs executives heading that corrupted thing under Bush?

Suhyoon replied...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 3:08 am
And also there was the fact the bailout didn't SPECIFY IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM how the money should be used because the Republicans believe in a free market system which is good but COMPLETE freedom is ridiculous seeing that Wall Street is now taking advantage of that to buy private jets for its biggies.

Nov. 27, 2010 at 12:03 am
absolutely, if we dont culturally level out the insane differences between monetary classes people will revolt, and people will die. we have taken capitalism to the biggest extremes we can which is disgusting

Kyle T. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
And now we have OBAMAS bailout which is worth more than any other previous president has spent combined. Great job folks. I wouldnt have minded so much if it had worked, but it didnt and we knew it wouldnt because history repeats itself. Thats what they tried in the great depression...giving money to companies and hoping it trickles down, but it NEVER DOES because the executives keep most of it. Lower taxes, restore confidence in banks.

better yet. overthrow our goverment system at its base, its not working. send death threats to billionares, they could choose to save millions but they dont. and start giving aid to countries instead of forcing our ideals, cmpanies, and ways of life on them.

PolartheBard replied...
Because giving aid to foreign countries not only works but will save us money, right? What a joke.

and your answer to helping out all the people who need the help we are capable of giving is?

PolartheBard replied...

I am tired of giving handouts to those who misuse and abuse the generosity, both inside and outside this nation.

If we can give the aid, then we give the aid. But we need to also recall that our purpose as a nation is NOT the welfare of other nations but of our own. Selflessness has a limit, but I fear that we will will not learn this lesson until it is far too late to pull ourselves from this self-made grave. We can only go out of our way to help others for so long until... (more »)

you have a really good point. while i think its not necessarily the foreign aid thats killing this country funneling our money to countries that will use it for purposes its not intended to is rampant. i think what we need to do to make the effort actually effective is have out own go into those countries and help out personally and also teach the country how it can heal its problems on its own, kinda like what you suggested

agricola said...
beautiful i admire this peice very much no more needs to be said

7Ariel7 said...
Oct. 11, 2010 at 8:54 am
well,  why do you say that Fox is corrupt? what evidence do have? Fox news happens to be conservative and isnt afraid to tell the truth about ALL, and thats the main reason that they are 'persecuted.' our nation used to side always with the truth and justice and now everything is about making money and giving people what they "wanna hear." Fox ahs continued in these steps unlike so many others who find no fault in comprimising.

7Ariel7 replied...
Oct. 11, 2010 at 8:55 am
this is to --- spiritualrevelationrevealspain...