Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

Suhyoon said...
Excuse me, why do you think 9/11, the event everyone still shudders about happened? Why do you think the whole Middle East hates the States (even before the war)? Answer that and you'll know what's wrong with bending over backward for Isreal.

Suhyoon replied...
Wait I posted that in the wrong place, it was meant to be a reply to Tommy's remark.

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
i completely agree, israel is more or less a terrorist state run by religious fanatics

smilyface replied...
Dec. 12, 2010 at 9:39 am
I think your an ignorent jerk.  I have tons of friends from Israel and none of them is or knows anybody who is a terrorist or a fanatic.

haha yeah sorry that sounded really insensitive. Here's what i should've said: israel does'nt treat the people of palestine well and i believe that is partially inluenced by some leaders in palestine being too uncompromising when it comes to religion and the preconceived character that goes with having differences in belifs, sorry. That being said israel has been attacked many times and has a reason for being overly cautious, i just don't agree with their decisions.

xealor replied...
Dec. 21, 2010 at 5:02 am
With all due respect. You should have your own opinions quite alright. nevertheless, Let he who be without sin cast the first stone friend. America. Beautiful nation founded on hope, love, and sanctuary. We spearheaded the world into a new age. Became the reigning super-power. Yet we still behave like the worlds economy isn't depending mostly on ours. if you don't agree with their decisions, imagine what they have to say about ours? please, think about how things mu... (more »)

Jan. 28, 2011 at 1:54 am
thank you for your respect and i appreciate the information

Suhyoon replied...
Jan. 30, 2011 at 5:54 am

Ditto to what TheKing said:

I know it wasn't exactly a sensitive comment but it was also an understatement. The first time I read this, I thought it was a gag. As spiritualrevelation pointed out there's ALOT of things that was wrong with Bush and his decisions including the war and the state he left the economy in. I could write an essay but perhaps it would put your mind at rest if I told you I didn't hate him. You can hate an evil person but not a stupid one.

Robert C. replied...
Bush started both wars that the United States fought under him. He dug a hole that Obama got left with when Bush left office. I'd be surprised if he even earned his GED

Suhyoon said...
Please check out the new film Capitallism:A Love Story, it will explain a lot better than me what kind of letter you've written.

PolartheBard replied...
Right. Because God knows that film tells both sides of the story. 

you have a point, but our culture and systems by default have told the other side 

Suhyoon said...
Nov. 24, 2010 at 7:51 am

Best comedy I've ever read.  And the fact its written so sincerely is why I still can't stop laughing.

But still everyone has the right to voice their ignorance--cough, I mean opinion--and if I was an English teacher, I'd say its well-written with concrete personal references and flow.

TheKingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Really?  what an assinine comment.  ever stop to think thats exactly what I think of you for thinking Bush was a "bad" president?  if you respond, please do so with intelligence, so as not to decrease my already low opinion of you.  I cannot debate with a barbarian.

well, heres why i strongly dislike bush: he started a war without the approval of the u.n., he acted horribly in the events after hurricane katrina, he let his vice president be someone with huge connections to haliburton a company that then got paid to "rebuild iraq", he didnt win his 2nd election yet was still president, bailouts,, giving america a horrible image, feeding off his fathers fame, not impeaching himself. why do you like him?

JezusFreak15 replied...
I dont care about the u.n., they are an organization. And Bush didn't start the war, terrorists started war when they slammed 2 planes into the twin towers, killing thousands! Bush merely made the official declaration. If we didn't go to war there would only be more attacks, the terrorists would see that we don't care about preserving what we fought long and hard for from England, and we would end in rubble. The end of the Land of the Free.

lovevpets said...
That's wonderful and well written. God bless you, and God bless the USA!

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution said...
nice paper, but doesnt change the fact that i would have rid the world of that monster given the chance=)

Hmmmmmm replied...
Hmmm? Monster, eh? Did you know that on the last Wednesday of his last term, he called the conservative radio hosts to the Oval Office and told them to go easy on Obama, knowing that being President isn't an easy career for anyone? Can you see Obama doing that for his successor?

Lizabeth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 2:02 am
He doesn't have to. There is no Democratic equivalent to the likes of Beck and Limbaugh, however unfortunately.