Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

wi234 said...
Jan. 23, 2011 at 7:05 am
I strongly disagree with this writer . For one thing Bush is partly responsible for the effects of Hurricane Katrina by appointing a completely incompetent man to head FEMA. Also it in my opinion was a mistake {or something more} that Bush was elected. many voters say that they were disenfranchised. Also this writer makes it seem as though Bush had no control of the two wars he started killing thousands of men and women . Also this writer disregards that under Bush the economy fell apart . Also ... (more »)

Lenah replied...
bush didn't control the weather. (in case you forgot.)

wi234 replied...
very funny

wi234 replied...
oh and also i am wise and innocient people died you are ignorent and brainwashed!!

Alexisteeninks said...
I have to disagree. George BUsh got us into the recession we have today. He declared war, causing millions of innocent young people to die. He made the mess and left Obama to clean it up. 

buneter replied...
again learn ocial studies congress got us into the war bu your just a little bit stupider you blame kennady for he great depression of course you dont because he also got us out te stock market crashed he had ntohing to with it

K.a.t.h.l.e.e.n. replied...
President Bush did not cause the recession. He did not declare war, Congress, did! He did not cause millions of innocent people to die. Our miliary went to Iraq to take down Husseins regime, not millions of innocent people! Not innocent in the least!! HUSSEIN killed hundreds of his own innocent people. Wise up!

Lizabeth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 1:57 am
Congress granted permission. Former president Bush engaged forces. Presidents can do that, since they are the chief commanding officer, but within thirty days Congress must allow, or at the end of thirty days Congress may disallow, forces to remain.

fire_ice4ever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Two things:

1. Kennedy was president WAY after the great depression!! Blaming him would be senseless, so unless that was your intent, which I doubt...CHECK YOUR FACTS. 

2.Lizabeth is right, only the president can declare war...granted congress has to approve it but the president has to roll the ball. 

Ironwoman said...

I have to disagree in many aspects because of our last president our nation is debt, other nations think where snobby, and the well being of those less fortunate was ignored.

Our nations debt is a very serisous matter that was handled poorly in the effect that many people lost jobs that where sent over seas which Busch supported fully.

When 9/11 occured we had dozens of nations offering to come and ... (more »)

Bu...Bu...Be replied...
I totally disagree with you! Yes, Bush got us into debt, but Obama basically got us father into it.

To quote newton "Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it." George Bush got that ball moving and it's going to take a lot of external force on Obama''s part to stop it. Also Herbert Hoover attempted 3 times to fix our country's debt, it took him many tries it will take Obama much longer to clean up Bush's mess that it took for Bush to create it. 

Babygirl809 said...

We had to declare war. If we didn't other nations would think they could attack us and nothing would be done. The american people wanted revenge not just  Bush. The Middle East sees us as we see them. They think of us as terrorists. Think of all the innocent people that have died on both sides. And not everything is Obama or Bush's fault there are other people in government. Our government isn't perfect but hey it works at times. And how is a natural disaster Bush's fault?

By the ... (more »)

Lenah replied...
you got it right

Kyle T. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I liked bush, I thought he had a spine and i dont think Obama does. I have reasons to back this up for those who argue that I am ignorant in saying this, but im just sayin I agree with you :-)

Alexisteeninks replied...
Who do you think caused 9/11 huh? He has no spine, people who make national messes and leave obama to clean it up do not have spines, not sorry to say.

toxsickfiend replied...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 8:39 am
Another mindless conspiracy theorist that thinks Bush was responsible. Go do your homework. I guess Bush didn't inherit a mess from the previous presidents. What's Obama doing about this mess? Well he's continuing the wars because they clearly aren't pointless and he's adding more to the debt with his socialist healthcare program.

alanahlovee replied...
^ I agree with toxsickfiend

Lenah replied...
soooooooooooo awesome! i think toxsicfiend should write on opinion on this subject. 

PrincessGrace replied...
I also agree with toxsickfiend :)

WishfulDoer replied...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 12:50 am
I agree with Alexisteeninks, and I did my homework.