Letter to George Bush MAG

By Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

on Mar. 10 2011 at 10:56 pm
ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

you got it right

on Mar. 10 2011 at 10:54 pm
ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

bush didn't control the weather. (in case you forgot.)

on Mar. 10 2011 at 10:52 pm
ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

oh chill out, it's not only his fault. things happen where there's only one solution to sometimes. you gotta give him credit for keeping our country together through nine eleven and all that. c'mon guys.

on Mar. 8 2011 at 2:35 pm
uhh you spelled your'e wrong like 10 times...its you're

on Mar. 3 2011 at 8:24 pm
spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
you have a really good point. while i think its not necessarily the foreign aid thats killing this country funneling our money to countries that will use it for purposes its not intended to is rampant. i think what we need to do to make the effort actually effective is have out own go into those countries and help out personally and also teach the country how it can heal its problems on its own, kinda like what you suggested

on Mar. 3 2011 at 8:07 pm
think of all the ones forced into the military by their monetary situation, its almost never the kids born to wealth that enlist

on Mar. 2 2011 at 1:48 pm
TheFitfulFire BRONZE, Houma, Louisiana

I am tired of giving handouts to those who misuse and abuse the generosity, both inside and outside this nation.

If we can give the aid, then we give the aid. But we need to also recall that our purpose as a nation is NOT the welfare of other nations but of our own. Selflessness has a limit, but I fear that we will will not learn this lesson until it is far too late to pull ourselves from this self-made grave. We can only go out of our way to help others for so long until we've managed to waltz ourselves right off a cliff and into oblivion. And then where will we be?

There comes a time when one needs must teach the man to fish as opposed to handing over the filets. We need to do more teaching, less handing out.

on Mar. 1 2011 at 11:25 pm
i do too, thank you for the comment

on Mar. 1 2011 at 11:23 pm
and your answer to helping out all the people who need the help we are capable of giving is?

on Mar. 1 2011 at 11:21 pm
what i said was too dogmatic and not fit for this site, though i hate the mans actions i apologize to anyone offended by the comment i made

on Mar. 1 2011 at 11:19 pm
you have a point, but our culture and systems by default have told the other side 

on Mar. 1 2011 at 11:05 pm
think of 9/11 now ponder that same devastation EVERY YEAR. Thats what we gave to the people of iraq, when you go to war you kill innocents, thats without question. we've killed around 100000 documented innocent people there and intruded on the live of thousands more. To be honest i would rather risk the very very low probability of a terrorist attack than mistreating an entire people.

on Feb. 26 2011 at 10:52 am
Hawthorn BRONZE, Nowheresville, Maine

"Know Thy Enemy" Sun Tzu

there's a saying that my dad taught me "when your'e president if things go right, your'e lucky, if things go wrong your'e to blame."

leafy said...
on Feb. 16 2011 at 4:08 pm
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

yeah, i know only congress can declare war, but the prez does have some say in it, and while it is partially the congress' fault, they're made up of a lot of people and the prez is only one person. and anyways, are you saying that bush didn't support the war? if you do, i will have to laugh at you perpetually... 

Playerhater said...
on Feb. 16 2011 at 3:00 pm
haha only cogress can declare war look it up! do you research before you post! im sick of stupid comments!

OneDay BRONZE said...
on Feb. 5 2011 at 9:58 am
OneDay BRONZE, Germantown, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.

Lizabeth is right, this is very nicely written artical, and all presidents including Former-President Bush and Mr. Obama have been the scrapegoats for the country.

But you have to addmit, Bush did put us in some hard postions in his terms in office.

Hmmmmmm said...
on Feb. 4 2011 at 5:22 pm
No, he doesn't have to. But neither did Bush. Bush did it out of the kindness of his heart. I could never invision Obama telling Liberal radio hosts to go easy on Sarah Palin if she ever got elected, just because he knows how hard being President is.

on Feb. 4 2011 at 2:10 am
Elizabethm BRONZE, Hulbert, Oklahoma

"Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe. –Albert Einstein.

Very well-written. I appreciate your point of view. I'm sure I disagree with you politically, but that's not really important.

Bush was condemned for many situations that were beyond his control, and our current president has the same problem, unfortunately. It's a disease, really, that should be cured. And can be cured; if people become politically involved. I mostly appreciate this article because it shows dedication and connection to a politcal candidate, and I can relate.

on Feb. 4 2011 at 2:02 am
Elizabethm BRONZE, Hulbert, Oklahoma

He doesn't have to. There is no Democratic equivalent to the likes of Beck and Limbaugh, however unfortunately.

on Feb. 4 2011 at 1:57 am
Elizabethm BRONZE, Hulbert, Oklahoma

Congress granted permission. Former president Bush engaged forces. Presidents can do that, since they are the chief commanding officer, but within thirty days Congress must allow, or at the end of thirty days Congress may disallow, forces to remain.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!