Letter to George Bush MAG

By Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

Hejlna BRONZE said...
on Sep. 1 2011 at 4:21 pm
Hejlna BRONZE, Portland, Maine
totally agreed

senseilance said...
on Aug. 11 2011 at 1:50 am
I thought it was going to end with the writer saying how she now missed her older brother who had been killed in action. What a let down!

on Jun. 29 2011 at 4:47 pm
freeflow23 GOLD, Durham, North Carolina

Saul saw Goliath as too big to kill. David saw he was too big to miss.
W.W.J.D.

What a powerful piece! It had the innocence of the child mixed with the maturity of a young adult.

on Jun. 23 2011 at 2:53 pm
DesertFox94 BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Oh God, most Historians agree that Bush is one of the worst Presidents we have ever had.  

on Jun. 23 2011 at 1:01 am
WishfulDoer GOLD, Portland, Oregon

If ignorance is bliss, why is our country so complicated?

This is directed at PolartheBard:

Have you ever considered that the great former leader of our country could've lied? I'm so tired of the ignorance of people like you, I have no more laughter in me.

on Jun. 23 2011 at 12:57 am
WishfulDoer GOLD, Portland, Oregon

Yeah, our nation sided with the truce and justice within the first five years of it being founded. It was always about making money and giving people what they want to hear, and it always will be, because if our country didn't do that, we'd have rebellions and attempts at overthrowing the government every other day (which in my opinion wouldn't be a bad idea at this point). Fox doesn't tell the truth, they're just as bad as the rest of the media and government.

on Jun. 23 2011 at 12:54 am
WishfulDoer GOLD, Portland, Oregon

Bush did it out of the kindness of his heart? B.u.ll S#!t. He did it to save face and make himself look good. (Although, compared to the massive s#!++y things he did, I don't think it did much good for him.)

on Jun. 23 2011 at 12:50 am
WishfulDoer GOLD, Portland, Oregon

I agree with Alexisteeninks, and I did my homework.

on Jun. 5 2011 at 5:32 pm
Musicfeedsthesoul07 PLATINUM, Naperville, Illinois

"Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one. " - Bill Gates

Two things:

1. Kennedy was president WAY after the great depression!! Blaming him would be senseless, so unless that was your intent, which I doubt...CHECK YOUR FACTS. 

2.Lizabeth is right, only the president can declare war...granted congress has to approve it but the president has to roll the ball. 

on Jun. 5 2011 at 5:27 pm

To quote newton "Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it." George Bush got that ball moving and it's going to take a lot of external force on Obama''s part to stop it. Also Herbert Hoover attempted 3 times to fix our country's debt, it took him many tries it will take Obama much longer to clean up Bush's mess that it took for Bush to create it. 

Bu...Bu...Be said...
on May. 14 2011 at 9:00 pm
Bu...Bu...Be, Grand Junction, Colorado
I totally disagree with you! Yes, Bush got us into debt, but Obama basically got us father into it.

RioU.B. said...
on Apr. 12 2011 at 10:18 pm
RioU.B., Denver, Colorado
its true isn't it lol

on Apr. 10 2011 at 8:58 am
Grace4297 BRONZE, McLean, Virginia

"Heads I win, tails you lose."

The other day, one person in my English class asked how we felt about Bush. My writing partner said that everyone hated him. I was the only one who disagreed. Thank you for writing this.

on Apr. 2 2011 at 7:47 pm
lovetowrite22 SILVER, ..., Colorado

"Everything happens for a reason."

nice article. i completely agree with you. bush, despite holding our country together during some of the hardest times in United States' history, is so often wrongfully brought down for things that he couldn't necessarily control. He was truly a good president. Nice article, very well written.

on Mar. 14 2011 at 2:01 pm
ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

i doubt you know the probablility of a terrorist attack. the world has a lot of nuclear weapons, and if we were attacked we could all be wiped out, and our country would be barren land. 

on Mar. 14 2011 at 1:59 pm
ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

yes however i would rather have bad economy than go to school scared that i might die. i disagree with a lot of obama's views on things but the soldiers know they might die and they are willing to for their country. if not, they're dumb to sign up. maybe it's other countries that need to mind their own business. we want to have a good impression on the world, and doing that keeps us safe. we want allies all the time so that they have our back when we get into trouble. that's why we are in the war, not to mention the thousands that died on 9/11 as a reason also.  

loremipsum said...
on Mar. 13 2011 at 12:27 pm
loremipsum, Lorem, Idaho
I also agree with toxsickfiend :)

loremipsum said...
on Mar. 13 2011 at 12:20 pm
loremipsum, Lorem, Idaho
I really enjoyed reading this letter! Well-written, and very touching. (That's so awesome that you dressed up as Sarah Palin  for Halloween :D) God Bless America!!!

on Mar. 10 2011 at 11:13 pm
ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

so, susu.ali, you think that the war is unnecessary? what if you lost a loved one in 9/11? is that when you would decide to declare war, or would you ~by chance~ think of what those people experienced? it sounds to me that you need to put yourself in other people's shoes sometime. look at the big picture. bush is admirable... i think so. good point, too, puzzleLuver.

on Mar. 10 2011 at 10:59 pm
ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

soooooooooooo awesome! i think toxsicfiend should write on opinion on this subject. 

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!