Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

Grace4297 said...
Apr. 10, 2011 at 8:58 am:
The other day, one person in my English class asked how we felt about Bush. My writing partner said that everyone hated him. I was the only one who disagreed. Thank you for writing this.

lovetowrite22 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
nice article. i completely agree with you. bush, despite holding our country together during some of the hardest times in United States' history, is so often wrongfully brought down for things that he couldn't necessarily control. He was truly a good president. Nice article, very well written.

PrincessGrace said...
Mar. 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm:
I really enjoyed reading this letter! Well-written, and very touching. (That's so awesome that you dressed up as Sarah Palin  for Halloween :D) God Bless America!!!

Lenah said...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 11:13 pm:
so, susu.ali, you think that the war is unnecessary? what if you lost a loved one in 9/11? is that when you would decide to declare war, or would you ~by chance~ think of what those people experienced? it sounds to me that you need to put yourself in other people's shoes sometime. look at the big picture. bush is admirable... i think so. good point, too, puzzleLuver.

Hawthorn said...
Feb. 26, 2011 at 10:52 am:
there's a saying that my dad taught me "when your'e president if things go right, your'e lucky, if things go wrong your'e to blame."

Salina Herrera replied...
Mar. 8, 2011 at 2:35 pm :
uhh you spelled your'e wrong like 10 times...its you're

RioU-B replied...
Apr. 12, 2011 at 10:18 pm :
its true isn't it lol

Jacques replied...
Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:29 pm :
And you, clearly, didn't construct your sentence correctly.  No one is perfect, and judgement is exactly what brought down our society into the deep pit it's in now.  Please don't contribute to it.

Lizabeth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 2:10 am:

Very well-written. I appreciate your point of view. I'm sure I disagree with you politically, but that's not really important.

Bush was condemned for many situations that were beyond his control, and our current president has the same problem, unfortunately. It's a disease, really, that should be cured. And can be cured; if people become politically involved. I mostly appreciate this article because it shows dedication and connection to a politcal candidate, and I can relate.

OneDay replied...
Feb. 5, 2011 at 9:58 am :

Lizabeth is right, this is very nicely written artical, and all presidents including Former-President Bush and Mr. Obama have been the scrapegoats for the country.

But you have to addmit, Bush did put us in some hard postions in his terms in office.

leafy said...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm:
not to mention that Bush got us in to both of those wars and spent so much money on them that we're in this recession right now. and for those of you saying that Bush didn't declare the war, look up your social studies cause only the prez can declare war and he certainly supported it. 

Playerhater replied...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 3:00 pm :
haha only cogress can declare war look it up! do you research before you post! im sick of stupid comments!

leafyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 4:08 pm :
yeah, i know only congress can declare war, but the prez does have some say in it, and while it is partially the congress' fault, they're made up of a lot of people and the prez is only one person. and anyways, are you saying that bush didn't support the war? if you do, i will have to laugh at you perpetually... 

Lenah replied...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm :
oh chill out, it's not only his fault. things happen where there's only one solution to sometimes. you gotta give him credit for keeping our country together through nine eleven and all that. c'mon guys.

K.a.t.h.l.e.e.n. said...

Wow, I love this letter!! I agree with you 100%. I can remember 9/11 as well, and that feeling of unity across America was almost palpable! I just wrote a short short piece, think "flash fiction" short, about 9/11. It's called Mandy, Don't! People pften forget why we went to Iraq, but I will never forget that horrible, horrible day.

I really enjoyrd this and can relate to you totally! Please keep writing!

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 11:05 pm :
think of 9/11 now ponder that same devastation EVERY YEAR. Thats what we gave to the people of iraq, when you go to war you kill innocents, thats without question. we've killed around 100000 documented innocent people there and intruded on the live of thousands more. To be honest i would rather risk the very very low probability of a terrorist attack than mistreating an entire people.

ilovedayna replied...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 2:01 pm :
i doubt you know the probablility of a terrorist attack. the world has a lot of nuclear weapons, and if we were attacked we could all be wiped out, and our country would be barren land. 

wi234 said...
Jan. 23, 2011 at 7:05 am:
I strongly disagree with this writer . For one thing Bush is partly responsible for the effects of Hurricane Katrina by appointing a completely incompetent man to head FEMA. Also it in my opinion was a mistake {or something more} that Bush was elected. many voters say that they were disenfranchised. Also this writer makes it seem as though Bush had no control of the two wars he started killing thousands of men and women . Also this writer disregards that under Bush the economy fell apart . Also ... (more »)

buneter replied...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 1:41 pm :
bush didnt have anything to do with the wars congress got into them

Lizabeth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 1:52 am :
Congress granted permission. That is how our government works: only the president can declare war, but after 30 days the Congress has the power to withdraw forces, or allow war.