Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

Rebecca H. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
George Bush was not the best president in the world. yes our economy is horrible, we're in a war we wish we weren't in (or most), and our education system is at an ultimate low due to No Child Left Behind.
Hopefully things will turn around for this country.

Taylor W. said...
Wow. That was incredible. I agree with you one hundred percent, every word you wrote felt like it mirrored my thoughts. You are a brilliant writer and a true American patriot. Please keep writing.

Jodi L. said...
Apr. 10, 2009 at 12:55 am:
That was a great letter because i think it makes people see things through your eyes. Your opinion is obviously the less popular one, but i dont think anyone could read this letter and not think "wow, she has a point."

Jessica W. said...
Ew.... George Bush was one of the worst presidents.

CutiePie said...
i disagree.Bush was not at all the best president. Because of his absent minded mistakes our economy is fallihg apart as we speak.

majnativewriter said...
Mar. 21, 2009 at 7:47 pm:
I am on the same page as Murdamitten69. I am happy with what G.W. Bush did for us as our president, but until Obama holds views that are the same as mine, I cannot support him.
Great letter.

Sunny said...
Mar. 21, 2009 at 7:38 pm:
I think Bush was an awful president, should get no thank-yous, and is lucky not to be in prison for corruption and war crimes, but I DID get to see your side without you sounding like a jerk, as many people do while talking politics.
good writing though I fully disagree

jbradford96 said...
Mar. 17, 2009 at 12:49 am:
I agree with your piece, and admire that you have the gumption to speak what you think, rather than following popular opinion. By the way, I was also Sarah Pallin for Halloween! And also like you, I got both positive and negative feedback.

brinamcg said...
Mar. 16, 2009 at 9:00 pm:
i personally believe that we all should admirer your writting because you show respect to G-dub i don't agree either but i'm respectful just the same

murdamitten69 said...
Mar. 13, 2009 at 5:59 pm:
This is indeed a good-hearted letter. I have also been a fan of G-Dub throughout both of his terms and a staunch supporter of the war on terror. However, I cannot rally behind our new president. I cannot stand him or his ridiculous budget.

BradP27 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 12, 2009 at 11:58 pm:
Of course I disagree entirely with everything you said, but this is really well-written and definitely opened my eyes to the other side of things a little more.

Raeha said...
Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:52 am:
well!i admire this piece of work because of the respect u have showed to the presidential power and to a person who is otherwise one of the most criticised politician.moreover its the positivity that took my attention.

sanra said...
Feb. 28, 2009 at 8:57 pm:
That was good, not i agree with all you say, but for the fact you didn't choose to blame him or whatever, ( like most people does) i respect that.