Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

crober95 said...
Jun. 23, 2009 at 3:45 pm:
"Thanks for holding the U.S. together"? Our country has been left in filthy ruins because of Bush's presidancy. New Orleans has taken years to recover and is no where near it's old glory. And those who say that Obama hasn't made an improvement in the economy, it is doing a good deal better than how Bush left it and the economy is not just going to magically heal itself. It needs time. We must all just wait to see the real amount of damage Bush has caused this country.

Valtarov replied...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:01 pm :
The President can only do his best to respond to whatever the world throws his way. Hurricane Katrina, not Bush, devastated New Orleans. And, well, after that, I really wouldn't want to live there either. The economy fluctuates. People were greedy, and it caused a whole system to crash. Bush did what he thought he legitimately could to help, and bad economic times don't mean we're divided (or at least I hope not).

Theresa This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 8, 2009 at 3:42 pm:
This was a well-written piece and a refreshing point of view.

It seems like whenever someone of our generation talks about Bush they spew information they've seen on the Internet or heard from their friends, without really understanding what it means. I don't think Bush was a GREAT president, but I think the people who think Bush is evil and should be arrested for war crimes clearly don't understand government. He wasn't fantastic as a president, but 9/11 was not his fa... (more »)

LaShae K. said...
Jun. 5, 2009 at 1:18 am:
im sorry but i disagree with this

Valtarov replied...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:56 pm :
What is there to disagree with? That Pres. Bush is a good man, regardless of whether you disagree with what he did?

GuoXiang This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 29, 2009 at 10:58 pm:
Though I do not agree with your political views, this is very well written. ^^

logan H. said...
May 27, 2009 at 1:20 am:
this is great because all you ever hear anymore is what he did wrong, not what he di right

PEACE! said...
May 26, 2009 at 9:46 pm:
I totaly disagree with you. This guy is a crimnal.You say he did alot for our country, but look what he did in iraq,MORE then one million KILLED!.Do you actully think someone who kills inoccient people is a good president?.Don't belive what you here and get real!.FOX 5 doesn't tell you the whole truth.

Valtarov replied...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:54 pm :
President Bush went to war with the intention to stop Iraq from going nuclear and probably thus nuking Israel. Hussein was using WMDs on Iranians and his own people. We went in to take down a very, very evil man.

Cassidy R. said...
May 26, 2009 at 1:34 am:
I agree completely. A bunch of bozos think Bush caused the economic crisis, but he DIDN'T. They simply choose not to see that! The economic crisis has grown worse with each president. I have nothing against Obama, but I think his ideas are ridiciously bogus and ignorant... But I wish people would see how much Bush did for us.

MissFuturePresident said...
May 25, 2009 at 8:18 pm:
Wow! living in an area where Bush is considered at best an imbecile, this is like a breath of fresh air! Thanks, I totally agree.

ilovehorses said...
May 20, 2009 at 1:43 am:
thank you so much for writing this! i totally agree and people should be more open and see how much he actually did :)
thank you so much

Writer4life said...
May 7, 2009 at 7:54 pm:
I live near N.Y soo... yeah prety scary

sallysunshineahahahamynamesnotsally said...
May 5, 2009 at 12:36 am:
i agree
he wuznt da best prez but he rly did keep us together and hey look , we didnt have another attack afta tht so he did something right

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
Dec. 31, 2010 at 3:55 pm :
this sentence was a grammatical massacre..

i believe in dreams' said...
May 3, 2009 at 12:27 pm:
I love this article! So many people critisize Bush for his mistakes and blame him for our bad economy. Everyone's acting like children. We need to stand a little taller and stop pointing fingers because that leads to a fighting nation, not a united nation. We need to get ourselves back on our feet and realize that just because Bush was the president, doesn't mean he can control EVERYTHING. Everyone has to pitch in and help as a NATION. We have a huge country and letting that go to waste is... (more »)

HOPEMVP said...
I liked Bush as President, though every president makes mistakes. How come the make a BIG DEAL ABOUT THEM as soon a Bush leaves, the day of? We are looking for a new future, a BRIGHT FUTURE! Obama isn't making that possible...yet!

elfman said...
i fully agree with you because bush was a great president and diservs way more credit than wat he gets... i also think that obama wont make much of a change even thogh people expected him to emediatly because of his skin color

HOPEMVP said...
I completely agree with article George Bush made a great president. This new one isn't making the economy ANY BETTER either.

SciFi_Writer said...
Apr. 23, 2009 at 12:41 am:
Man what a breath of fresh, correct air! I get so tired of people criticizing Bush when all along he has protected us from the most terrifying of enemies. I feel that since it has been such a long time since the 9/11 attacks, people have forgotten that the threat is still strong and out there. I think our former president deserves a letter like this from all Americans

Nicole G. said...
Apr. 21, 2009 at 3:18 am:
Great piece of writing! I like the way you made your point without coming on too strong. It's hard to write something without getting too much of your feelings and opinions in your work, so I give you props for that!

But, putting all politics aside, I think we can all agree that September 11th had an enormous impact on all of us, as it did you, which was another good thing: you put something in your letter that everyone could agree on no matter where they stand.

As ... (more »)