Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

GodisLove<3 said...
Aug. 6, 2009 at 2:12 am:
I absolutely love it, everything about it. I love seeing that some people in America actually respect him as a person, instead of walking around saying that he is a total *fill in the blank*. Thank you for writing that, and for publishing it on Teen Ink!

amandapanda said...
I really enjoyed this article. Although I am definitely a supporter of George W. Bush, I want to remind everyone that just because you don't agree with the author's point of view doesn't mean absolutely trash the writing. Be sure to look at how well written this is. Even if I am a Republican all the way, if I saw a piece written this well about Obama, I would definitely give it a great rating as well. Yes, that's a challenge. I think this is a fantastic piece of work.

Madison17 said...
This piece was very well written. And, while I disagree with your views on his presidency, I can appreciate the details you put in about your own life throughout the years of turmoil.

Riverine14 said...
I do not agree, at all, with your views on the so called "Great President Bush," although I will say that this is extremely well written. You have the right to your opinion and I have the right to disagree.

DallysGrrl replied...
May 17, 2010 at 1:32 pm :
I totally agree with you!! no 1 should trash her ideas, even if they disagree....but we do have the right 2 absolutely positively disagree.

Electricity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I repeat what SANRA (very first comment) said. It was well written, and I don't really agree, but it's nice to see that Bush isn't totally hated by all USA. Besides, he's still human, and I actually kinda feel bad that so many people completely HATE him. I dislike his opinions and what he does, and I feel that he should have done differently, but that doesn't mean I don't like him as a human being! He still has freaking feelings!

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
Oct. 7, 2010 at 9:56 pm :
yeeeaaaah but, soldiers that died in our almost pointless wars had feelings, innocent that were shot had feelings, people that lost hope in the country have feelings, just sayin if i was in a room with him he wouldnt be leaving

PolartheBard replied...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 6:32 pm :
If the soldiers didn't know there was a chance they'd be killed doing what they do, then they had NO business being soldiers.

Mar. 3, 2011 at 8:07 pm :
think of all the ones forced into the military by their monetary situation, its almost never the kids born to wealth that enlist

truth said...
Although i strongly disagree with you views, I applaud you on this well-written article. Scanning over the comments i was very disturbed with "since it has been such a long time since the 9/11 attacks, people have forgotten that the threat is still strong and out there."(from The_Music_MAn) As a Muslim in the United States, I undergo religious discrimination frequently. Having to go to the airport and being scrutinized for one's religion and having been called a terrorist is not my idea of an... (more »)

emmyphan27 said...
Very well written. I agree with most of what you said. I am a supporter of Bush, and people seem to forget all the good he's done (helping the fight for democracy in countries that are under the control of a terrible dictator *nudge, nudge*, donating billions of dollars for AIDS relief in Africa and such, etc). Yes, he messed up once in a while (what person hasn't?), but so does Obama. Just look at terrible healthcare he's trying to implement, or the horrible Cap n' Trade bill that h... (more »)

Nov. 17, 2010 at 8:54 pm :
dont get me wrong hussein deserved to die but he kept the terrorist situation more under control than we have. also in the process of creating iraqs new dictatorship that is somehow still labeled democracy we disrupted and killed many more people than hussein ever did while making our flag a symbol of ignorance to many people in the middle east and of course it was possible for him to have wmds, we sold them many weapons so iraq and iran would massacre each other, it was an excuse... (more »)

Pahndah said...
Jul. 23, 2009 at 4:29 am:
Very well written, and I totally agree with the viewpoint. I think people who rant about Bush simply because they buy into the media or whatever's coming out of their friends' mouths are extremely ignorant. What a beautiful change, to see someone with a well thought-out viewpoint.

Stefanie E. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 22, 2009 at 7:51 pm:
This article is so very well written!!!! Great Job!!! And for the opinion that states that Bush killed millions of innocent people in Iraq: do you know why we captured Hussein?!?! He, Hussein himself, was the one killing and torturing innocent people, including some of his own relatives!!! Anyways that article was so wonderful and refreshing! Thank You and keep writing! I am looking forward to more of your work!

tayecutebutt said...
Jul. 1, 2009 at 5:29 am:
well written. and I agree. :)

Chrissy_L said...
Jun. 24, 2009 at 2:28 pm:
Well written, I appreciate your views but I must respectfully disagree.
He was not the man our country needed, many people died in a pointless war that he so veraciously supported. Yet, through all the mockery he endured, I was human enough to feel sorry for him. The mindset I had was if he didn't hate me, than I needn't hate him. But even that was wrong.
To be perfectly honest, I am an athiest. And I will say that nowhere else for fear of discrimination, and it is people like... (more »)

Valtarov replied...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:06 pm :
I bet he said that in context that gave it different meaning. But the consequence of true atheism is pride and a complete lack of care for anyone but yourself. Since patriotism and citizenship require dedicating part of yourself to something higher than yourself, the true atheist cannot be either a true patriot nor a true citizen.

Dec. 31, 2010 at 3:50 pm :
no, thats not what atheism means at all (though im not one), atheist is simply a term for a person with their own beliefs and who dot buy into other religions. also patriotism blinds people, i have seen it do more damage than good.

Chris E. said...
Jun. 24, 2009 at 2:27 am:
I personally don't think bush was an amazing president, but do think this was well written. Great Job.

crober95 said...
Jun. 23, 2009 at 3:45 pm:
"Thanks for holding the U.S. together"? Our country has been left in filthy ruins because of Bush's presidancy. New Orleans has taken years to recover and is no where near it's old glory. And those who say that Obama hasn't made an improvement in the economy, it is doing a good deal better than how Bush left it and the economy is not just going to magically heal itself. It needs time. We must all just wait to see the real amount of damage Bush has caused this country.