Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

ChristopherK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm resisting the urge to trash Former President Bush right now.
But I can see you have very much respect for him, and I about enough respect him as a person as well, despite everything.
And you can find his address in an instant with the world's most powerful tool: Google.

Emmalee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 27, 2010 at 7:56 am :
Why would you show him any respect? If you have any respect for yourself, you would convince this writer what a complete idiot he is. Oh wait... I just did.

iceman04606 replied...
Jan. 27, 2010 at 10:56 am :
Want to know why you should show respect for him? I will tell you why, because he protected our freedom, however Obama is destroying everything that Reagan and Bush worked for. Change, something we DO NOT NEED.

ChristopherK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 27, 2010 at 3:43 pm :
Emmalee: I respect him simply for the fact that he wanted the best for America and that he tried, (more or less.) Beyond that, I think he's a political joke surpassed only by Sarah Palin--but usually I choose not to parade my distaste of him around. Instead, I try to empathize and show respect. Despite everything, he is our leader.

Jan. 27, 2010 at 3:46 pm :
I'm not sure if my last comment saved or not, so if it shows up, I'll look really strange--but just to make sure...
Emmalee: Despite everything, he was America's leader. I respect him simply because he wanted the best for America, he was our leader, and he was a fellow American and person. Beyond that, I think he's a political joke matched by only Sarah Palin. But I try to respect him instead of parading around my distaste like he was a dictator.
Iceman04606: We d... (more »)

Jan. 27, 2010 at 8:53 pm :
Despite Bush's endless assurances that "Americans are safer," he did little to protect the U.S. from terrorist attacks. His administration spent more in Iraq in four days than they spent protecting our ports in four years. Bush often reminded us that we should be grateful to our soldiers, but in 2003, he proposed closing seven veterans hospitals, cutting combat bonus pay 33 percent, cutting assistance to soldiers' families by 60 percent and cutting $1.3 billion in veterans�... (more »)

EquineWriter replied...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 10:01 am :
We need the RIGHT kind of change, if we were to get any. This man that we elected, has certainly changed our country...

SonnyChapman said...
I don't like Bush &I think Obama is just making an even bigger mess out of everything that he screwed up, but I agree with your letter. He was with us in our darkest hours.

zhector said...
While I am not a fan of Bush I do agree with your letter! He has endured than most Presidents in his short Eight year term, and he did a fine job of staying strong for our country. Thank you for posting. Please send this to him!

conservative71196 said...
Oh and I was wondering, did you actually send this to him?

Kara C. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 4, 2009 at 7:58 pm :
No. I would really like to, but I didn;t write it until after he had already moved out of the White House so idk what address to send it to.

conservative71196 replied...
Nov. 4, 2009 at 9:11 pm :
Oh, too bad. ;(
I think he would have really liked it.

EricBlair replied...
Nov. 7, 2009 at 10:27 am :
Wow... I am a Bush-hater. I do know the value of the opposing argument and in that sense this is extraordinary valuable to me. I did not question my hatred of him for a second, but I now understand how and why.
He united the nation through fear.
His wars established a sense of purpose in his followers.
That is what I observe. I would like to state that his election was no mistake because he is proven to have cheated, but I do actually think you should find a way of getting th... (more »)

WriterFanaticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 16, 2010 at 12:46 am :
no no no. I don't approve of him either. But he tried. Oh man, he tried to be a good Presidant

JoCoGirl said...
Thank you so much for this article. Not only is it well written, but you told the complete truth that liberals and the media will deny to the end. I was six years old on 9-11 but I remember watching it on the news. My mother picked me up from school early and we went home to pray and cry. Our nation came together and came closer to God. Why do we only go to him when we are in trouble. We, as a nation, need to draw closer to Him, so that He will be with us even stronger during the dark moments of... (more »)

conservative71196 replied...
Nov. 4, 2009 at 7:16 pm :
I completely agree with everything in this article. When I first saw it, I assumed that it would be an angry, hateful letter, because so many people hate George W. Bush. But, as I read it, I realized that some people still do agree with him and stand up for their beliefs. I am truly grateful that you posted this letter on Teenink and that so many people voted on this article and that it is the number one top voted article on Teenink. Thank you, again.

replied...
Dec. 2, 2009 at 2:45 pm :
I would really like to see the it Bush would write back if he sent this to him.

Butterfly replied...
Dec. 2, 2009 at 9:00 pm :
I completely disagree. The housing and mortgage crisis, unemployment, the wars, poor nutritional practices, lack of health insurance for the poor and indigent, social security insolvency, all of this started with one man and that is BUSH!

Kyle C. replied...
Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:46 am :
Butterfly, you're wrong. The economic crisis that we are in has nothing to do with Bush's policies. It's been brewing for years, and happened because of corporate business practices. There have always been Americans without health insurance. I certainly didn't agree with Bush on everything, but blaming him for all of that is just plain wrong. Your thoughts sound like those of a rambling partisan who, rather than actually LEARN about things, just spews biased hate. Besides, ev... (more »)

PaigeRebecca said...
While I completely disagree with your views on George Bush, I absolutely loved your writing style. You are very talented :)

Nov. 4, 2009 at 7:57 pm :
Thank you so much! :)