Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

soccerrules said...
I think you have forgotten to mention how president Bush brought us into the war and recession. He fought with Iraq on oil, war. He spent so much money on weapons and war stuff, that we went into the recession. I give Obama much credit for coming into this in such a hard time. He is trying his best and I think will succeed in time.

Quinntre replied...
Because congress doesn't look at the facts at hand and do their own research right?

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 10:47 am
If they were told, alright here's the situation, and were misinformed that way, I doubt you could expect them to do their own research.  It would be a waste of time to them

peace.frog.271 replied...

Shakesbeer are you serious? "Oh be quiet.... bush requested it that is well known" Yeah. And if you were just attacked by a group of terrorist, would you request war? Would you not avenge the 3,000 lives that were lost on 9/11? 

Obviously, Congress accepted it. And believe it or not, no matter what your party, you would've too.

Kasumi said...

-hugs- Thank you! So many people don't see the good things in Bush any more. They bash him way too much! 

Good job writing this!

Shannon_Bananon said...
Nowadays, it's so difficult to find people who recognize the good Bush did, but are also open to the new President. Though a Democrat at heart, I found this letter heart warming and true.

11coreya said...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 11:45 am
being president of the united states is the hardest job in the world... ever. many many presidents leave office with awful approval ratings but thirty years later people look back and realize what they did was good and they are considered some of the greatest presidents

hepburn said...

my subjective pov aside, this is nicely written..

i particularly respect you for expressing your point of view without "bashing" any other points of view. well done :)

Evangeline said...
Mar. 12, 2010 at 4:08 am
This is good. I love it. Poignant. Not many people appreciate Mr. Bush for what he did. He did his best... America is not an easy country to lead, for that matter. :)

i<3steven! said...
okaaaaaaaaaaaaayy. this is a good point of view.

inspiredpoet said...
Wonderful article, lots of meaning.

justin said...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 11:58 am
According to the Gallup poll, Bush's approval rating was 34 percent when he left office. The good news is that he rating is higher than Nixon and Truman.

agarcia said...
And Emmalee, if you didn't know already, Obama has contributed much more to the deficit than Bush did in both of his terms(8 YEARS). Keep in mind that Obama has only been president for a couple of months..

june replied...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 11:48 am
can you provide some factual data as to how much more debt did obama incurred during his short time being the president.

Omgitsdanja replied...
Feb. 26, 2010 at 7:54 am
Yea Obama has contributed....contributed america into more debt

11coreya replied...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 11:42 am
obama has contributed but obama wasnt attacked. if we get majorly attacked while he is in office it will throw him for a loop and i think and hope he can handle it. it definately messed with bush

omgitsdanja replied...
I cant stand that man. I dont think he would be able to handle it because all the media loves him because hes the new fad in America. The president for one is black so thats showing racial ways to move forward Im not racist or anything but he will never be attacked because hes worshiped...it disgusts me.

singdance7 replied...
okay. That angers me when people judge a president by how many attacks america gets while they are in office. 9/11 was a sad day. It was also a very cleverly planned atack. But i would also like you to think... Bush didn't let any OTHER atacks happen did he? people always give him a hard time for the one tragic attack, that i admit wished america had seen. But nobody ever syas "Well at least he kept them out for the rest of his term!"

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:41 am
He kept them out of our country, but the poor soldiers in the middle east probably aren't so thrilled about roadside bombs and being pecked off bit by bit.

agarcia said...
I agree with your letter completely. Hopefully all goes well with Obama.. i don't think we need change- I think we need to progress. That progress would come with less consumption on all our parts..but yea, great writing btw..

ChristopherK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm resisting the urge to trash Former President Bush right now.
But I can see you have very much respect for him, and I about enough respect him as a person as well, despite everything.
And you can find his address in an instant with the world's most powerful tool: Google.