Letter to George Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

Amelia_R-FThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Do you know why George Bush served during two wars? He started them. He started them by lying to us about his reasons. Do you know why we're even in a financial crisis? Him. Before him, we had a surplus. Then he went and spent it all on stupid things, like the wars he started. I hope he left office cowering in shame. The way he treated poor people, gay people, women, racial minorities, and immigrants was repulsive.

SomethingWitty replied...
Feb. 20 at 5:03 pm
Thank you so much, you saved my fingers from having to type exactly that out. I'd also like to point out that the author of this article is right, his coming to office wasn't an accident. Because the Supreme Court (friends with the Bush administration) ruled not to recount the Floridian votes.

LinkinPark12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:14 am
Very well written article, but George Bush was the reason 9/11 happened, in my opinion. But that's just conspiracy. Politics is all different in the UK anyway.

fireandrainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 7 at 8:01 pm
How did GB make terroists fly into the twin towers?

Artgirl1999 said...
Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:42 am
This is an amazing article, I agree with you completely.

DeathAngel said...
Um yeah. I think what we put them through has to hurt as much as 9/11 for us. They go through life wondering if the people they love will come home safe. So we aren't all that different. Also where are the supposed weapons of mass destruction? No one has found them, so I believe they don't even exist. I mean why are we even still there? Osama is dead so let's leave. There is no reason to continue to mess with the people of Iraq lives. I'm not sorry if you don't feel this way ... (more »)

KayleCrosson11 said...
Okay, I can honestly say this is a very well written piece, even though I strongly strongly disagree with your politics. Myself, I'm a liberal democrat who would condemn the Bush administration, but I can admire your use of language and maturity. It really shows how the power of the written word can make us appreciate other opinions whilst respecting them at the same time. 

ChristianS replied...
Jun. 7, 2013 at 11:56 am
I agree, this writer did a great job writing the article and though I respect her opinon completly, I am a flaming Liberal Democratic so politically I disagree

lookatdatsoul This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:11 am
This was actually mailed to President Bush by you? Regardless of my own political opinions, this was well-written. So many citizens are apathetic when it comes to government, so I am glad you take an interest in politics. 

chat.hmmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 19, 2012 at 8:52 am
Thank you for writing this! Our presidents, whatever their political party, deserve respect. Bush had a tough job, and he did the best he, or anyone, could do. 

dragonfly95 said...
yes,god bless america and god bless bush and,yes, our president now too

YourNeighborhoodArab said...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 11:02 am
Although I couldn't disagree more with your opinion, this was very well written and you backed your opinion up with some facts. We will just have to agree to disagree.

greatfriendsinger4 said...
I like your article. 

Supernova7 said...
Nov. 3, 2011 at 9:17 am
Although I don't really agree with your opinion this was very well written and I respect that good job.

Hejlna said...
totally agreed

senseilance said...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 1:50 am
I thought it was going to end with the writer saying how she now missed her older brother who had been killed in action. What a let down!

Mossberg702 replied...
is that supposed to be a joke? cuz it's not funny

freeflow23 said...
What a powerful piece! It had the innocence of the child mixed with the maturity of a young adult.

DesertFox94 said...
Oh God, most Historians agree that Bush is one of the worst Presidents we have ever had.  

DesertFox94 replied...
Hahaha, sure pal. Have you ever heard of Plato's Cave Allegory?