Trump: The Allure of a Madman | Teen Ink

Trump: The Allure of a Madman

By Dylan0C SILVER, Jordan, Minnesota
Dylan0C SILVER, Jordan, Minnesota

“Success is not for the weak and uncommitted… Sometimes it’s gonna hurt!” – Eric Thomas

Donald Trump, in all major polls, is the Republican frontrunner by every metric at this point. While Mr. Trump has made some questionably racist statements, it has yet to really affect him negatively. In fact, he’s been polling far better after his controversial comments on Muslims. Now, some may argue that his migrant litmus test bars him from presidency, but even that has yet to hinder his progress. How do you combat someone who gains traction by making outlandish remarks? Simple you don’t. Much like a spark that causes a small fire, you simply remove what’s flammable around it and allow it burn itself out.

What causes Trump supporters to support such a brash and unabashed demagogue? I’m hesitant to believe his support, in its entirety, comes solely from his views. Many people like Donald Trump for the same reason people like Bernie Sanders; while polar opposites on the issues, neither can be bought and sold. Both candidates speak their minds in the manner of which they choose, whether or not it is agreeable. Most of Trump’s support comes not from the war on terror, rather it comes from the war on political correctness. I’m not a Trump supporter, but I still find myself rallying around his speeches in which he speaks in a manner many are afraid . It’s astonishing; the man offends any and every minority group, yet his numbers refuse to plummet.

Trump has been a very successful man to say the very least. In just this past year he’s managed to successfully lose two of his television shows: The Apprentice and the Miss Universe Pageant. He’s also found success in alienating each and every minority group. Those groups will ultimately help him succeed in losing the general election. With all his successes it seems difficult to pick his best success of the past year. However, I think I narrowed it down to the two greatest Trump achievements of 2015. Mr. Trump succeeded in having the worst “hair” and having the worst views. I’d say that’s rather acceptable for a man who lacks morals the same way Fox News lacks substance. Mr. Trump appears to be having success in much the same manner that Charlie Sheen was “winning” circa 2011. 

Donald Trump will inevitably lose the support he currently has. The question is ultimately when will his support, like his hairline, recede? Trump’s fall from grace, like his proposed wall, will be huge.  In the end, you can expect Mr. Trump’s movement to burn out as soon as his anti-PC allure fades away. Trump is much the same as your sister’s children; they’re fun on occasion but the charm wears off when you’re forced to babysit them.

Editorial on Donald Trump