Should Illegal Immigrants be Entitled to an Education? | Teen Ink

Should Illegal Immigrants be Entitled to an Education?

By theismaya BRONZE, Crested Butte, Colorado
theismaya BRONZE, Crested Butte, Colorado

Do you think that all children should be allowed an education? Why are some people allowed to go to school and some aren't ? What is wrong with illegal children going to school? So should illegal immigrants children be entitled to an education? my opinion is yes they should get to go to school. Because everyone needs some sort of education and the children are people too. Just because they are from a different country than us does not mean that we are allowed to toss them aside and give them the worst treatment. So by reading this article I hope you agree with me. 

In 2003 there was an estimated 8 million immigrants, came into the U.S. to look for new opportunities. 2014 studies show that 15.7 million to 19.7 million illegal  immigrants are now in the U.S. but now people are mad because the are taking up all jobs, so now more than ever the borders are patrolled so no one can come into the country. Obama’s recent action will get more than 2.7 million illegal immigrants green cards.

So this being done provides childrn to an education for a long time and for genarations to come.

A law called the DREAM law was introduced in 2001 to congress in California, but it was shot down. This law would of allowed illegal college students to get a in state tuition and not have to pay more because they are not legal that is just not fair. Eventually it was passed, after it was passed fewer than 50 immigrants will attend college this year but hopefully it will rise.

In Connecticut the DREAM act was very popular, Said one person Maria Praeli “ The law can reduce tuition costs by $17,000 dollars a year, also the in state tuition for the university of Connecticut is $8,256 but the out of state tuition is  $25,152 this is what illegal immigrants have to pay just to get an education . “It's easier to see your future.” (Maria Praeli huffington post pg 1)

Maria parali will be one of the first students to put forward the dream law. But their are only 12 states that are actually allowing this law. Also illegal immigrants are not eligible to most financial aid and once they get a degree they can't legally work in the U.S. without being a registered citizen.  This is not fair in any way because if the immigrants go through years of college and then they can't even get a job without being a U.S. citizen than what is the point of all of this?

Mariano Cardoso and illegal immigrant from Mexico , says. “ This law is a lot of help, but it's not really enough for any student that is undocumented.For someone who needs a job.”

Thus this law is not for everyone. So if one comes into the country illegally and they don't want this option, the people don't need to use it although it would open new options for the family/student.

Children of all ages should be allowed a fair and good priced education, and that all education should be offered no matter where you are are from and who you are. Also what is wrong with having people from different places come to school, after all they are people too, and it's better social interaction for other kids. And yes some people might think that the children are dangerous but you could give them a chance and see.

Bibliography-
1.Ferner, Matt. "Undocumented Immigrant Student In-State Tuition Bill Signed Into Law In Colorado." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, n.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2015.
3."5 Facts about Illegal Immigration in the U.S." Pew Research Center RSS. N.p., 24 July 2015. Web. 29 Oct. 2015.

I don't care said...
on Jan. 22 2018 at 9:17 am
Your putting people who think they shouldn't be allowed in look like racist. I personally think they shouldn't get an education and I don't care at all about where there from people care about HOW they got here. That's the whole point.