America's Role in the Iraq War | Teen Ink

America's Role in the Iraq War

By piperd13 BRONZE, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
piperd13 BRONZE, Basking Ridge, New Jersey

"They tried to bury us but they didn't know we were seeds."

The attempt to spread democracy foundered and has caused many issues for the Iraqi government. The United States has spent 1.82 billion dollars on matters specifically designed to  help strengthen democratic issues such as elections, a new constitution, and civil society groups. The invasion of Iraq in 2003 was a mistake. It is unrealistic to think that Iraq could have a stable democracy.  Attempting to spread democracy caused the development many issues in not only the United States but Iraq too.

In a democratic government all the power is in the people. Elections are held where people are able to vote for the candidate whom the feel will do the people justice, in representing their wants and needs in a position of power.  Democracy is based on representation, the elected officials act on behalf of the people. Freedom plays a major role in a democratic government, such as the freedom of speech, worship, and press. Democracy is slow when deciding on issues because of the time it takes to set up an election or write out and revise a new bill. Like any form of government a democratic government has its flaws.  Dictatorship is a form of government in which all power or most of it is in the hands of one individual. The people being governed have no voice and are unable to make changes to the political system. Democracy relies on freedom whereas dictatorship thrives on oppression. In a dictatorship decisions are able to be made quick, firm decisions about its people and well-being. Often in a dictatorship law enforcement becomes violent and brutal. People are not allowed to speak out against the government and often to suppress them there is media blackouts.

The United States has attempted to spread democracy around the world many times. In 1998 during President Bill Clinton's term, a law was passed by congress giving access to 97 million dollar in military assistance. The money was to be used to “remove the reigne headed by Saddam Hussein’ and ‘promote the emergence of a democratic government.” In 2003 the United States invaded Iraq to search for possession of weapons of mass destruction and to gain control of the Iraqi oilfields. In the beginning of the war it was estimated that it would cost around 50-60 billion dollars in total. The cost of the war sent the United States debt soaring. It is said that the U.S spent around 2.2 trillion dollars and the number may increase to 4 trillion due to interest payments on loans.  The Iraqis endured many casualties. Many estimate that nearly 60,000 civilian deaths occured while others estimate it to be ten times that number. America lost over 4,000 Troops with another 31,000 wounded in action. Providing medical care to veterans has doubled, adding even more stress to those who have served. 

When the war came to an end, a limited form of democracy developed in Iraq. It is considered a “minimal, procedural” form. On democracy index, they state that Iraq’s government is a “hybrid” between “flawed democracy” and an “authoritarian regime.” Iraq is spiraling down the hole of corruption.  Arthur L. Herman states “Whatever one wants to say about the conduct of the Iraq War, going to war to remove Saddam Hussein in 2003 was a necessary act. It should and could have been done earlier, had not the Clinton White House, which understood the need, not wasted the opportunity through timidity and bluster.” President Clinton led the United States into war on the basis of an unproven accusation. The United States never found proof of possession of weapons of mass destruction. Therefore, the invasion on Iraq was unnecessary.

While promoting democracy is honorable it did not prove helpful in the end of the War. Iraq will not be able to have a stable democracy. Not only do they have a history of oppression but they have numerous other issues that would prevent them from becoming a stable democracy. Iraq does not have a stable government to be able to organize and form a democracy. The Iraq war and the fight to gain democracy, has placed the United States under a huge amount of debt and resulted in thousands of casualties. Iraq was wounded as well as the  United States who suffered greatly from the outcomes of trying to spread democracy in Iraq.