Let Young People Vote? | Teen Ink

Let Young People Vote?

June 13, 2015
By Anonymous

Yet again the question of giving 16 and 17 year-olds the chance to vote is being raised. This time it is with regards to the upcoming European referendum in which the public’s votes will determine Britain’s future relationship with Europe. This call for change is arguably triggered by the implication of this new system for the Scottish referendum last year in which teenagers from age 16 were allowed to vote, and did so in reasonably large numbers.
The Prime Minister himself opposes this suggestion but has said parliament should vote on the matter. But with the youngest MP being 20 years old, it appears teenagers are not getting a voice on this issue, so what do we really think?


It’s true that some of us feel a little distanced from politics and would rather stay away. Perhaps the responsibility of voting on what is, apparently, a huge decision feels a bit overwhelming. Besides, with so little life experience and very limited education on politics and economics, youths could lack the knowledge and maturity required to vote responsibly on such complex topics.


Are they less aware than most adults, however? Currently, there are still huge numbers of people not voting because they ‘don’t understand’ politics. This is primarily due to a lack of clear information and education available. Maybe the privilege to vote would incite a new interest in politics amongst school-age teenagers, as it appeared to in Scotland, further involving the younger population and thus resulting in a much more politically-informed society in future.


Furthermore, this generation is part of the digital age. We are more than capable of following politics and news online through social networks such as Twitter; we have the means, now we need the incentive of a vote at the end of it. If there’s a real reason to follow politics online, many will.


After all, young adults are going to be affected by national political decisions very soon if not immediately. At 16, they are usually already in the process of looking at further education or finding their first full-time job after which they will most likely plan to buy homes and start a family. Their successes in all of these are partially determined by politics. They ought to have as much influence as possible on their own futures.


At this age teenagers are also able to start paying tax alongside other new responsibilities or liberties such as being allowed to marry or join the army, but it seems adults are underestimating a teenager’s capabilities .A writer for the Guardian described teenagers voting in the referendum as ‘a car crash’ as though they’d be as (in)capable of voting as driving, yet plenty of 17 year olds can drive as well as any adult!


What is more, the Scottish referendum turnout showed that many in this age band are keen to get involved in politics. Shouldn’t we be encouraging younger generations to express their views and opinions on current affairs instead of repressing them until 18 (or older for those who have to wait another 5 years before their first big vote), by which time they may have lost their original interest or motivation?


It seems to me that 16 and 17 year-olds should therefore be allowed to vote in future referendums and elections in order to spark interest in young people and permit them to have more power over their own futures. What do you think?


The author's comments:

Very interested to hear what other teenagers think. It is actually often assumed that we want to vote in order to indulge in the privelages of democratic society but perhaps this is not the case for some?