Open Your Eyes | Teen Ink

Open Your Eyes

By McHill13 BRONZE, Tonowanda, New York
McHill13 BRONZE, Tonowanda, New York

Do you know that the government is secretly supplying federal agencies with thousands of weapons and hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammunition? Most people don’t because of how secretive the government is being. There are many reasons and proofs of this type of lying and secret actions dating all the way back to the 20’s. Although there are the most prominent examples of an untrustable government there is more than just lies. In the end these are all reasons you should not trust the U.S government.
    Many of the issues we still face with the government originated from the shadyness of the government in the past. Ever since the golden era of the 1920’s the government has been hiding important things from the public. During the Prohibition era the government poisoned alcohol in order to prevent it from being sold. This resulted in the deaths of thousands of Americans at the hands of the government while they continued to lie. That shadyness still continues to this day. You can simply turn on the news and hear about it. Bowe Bergdahl was a U.S Army soldier that is now a traitor to the country. President Obama went through all the trouble to free him completely ignoring the policy of not negotiating with terrorists by releasing five for a traitor.
    The government has and still does keep things hidden from us. Without a doubt the government keeps important information from ever reaching the public. This is so true in fact that the government has literally been taking people to change the news. Between the 40’s and 70’s the CIA (Central Intelligence Agency) kidnapped 400 professional journalists to censor the news that Americans would read and watch to skew it in their favor. Still not convinced? Then pay close attention to this. Government agencies such as the USDA, FEMA, DHS, NOAA and the The U.S Postal Service. “Why does the Postal Service need assorted small arms ammunition?” asks journalist John Whitehead The Department Of Agriculture secretly requested and received 40. calibure semi automatic submachine guns and 320,000 rounds of hollow point ammunition.
          Recent decisions the government has made leaves people asking "who's side are you really on?" This is shown by the governments lack of decision making in recent years. One example is the policy to not negotiate with terrorists. Not only is this policy questionable at times, it is very questionable as to when the government chooses to disregard this policy. The senior counsel of the American Center of Law and Justice, David French stated "The President betrayed America when he traded a deserter and traitor for terrorists." After the trade for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl one of the five traded terrorists has already been sworn back into duty against Americans. Furthermore the President tried to justify this horrible decision by stating "The Taliban is not a Terrorist group."
         Americans have lost all faith in the government saying "They can't do the right thing." When faced with two clear choices (one being obviously right and the other clearly wrong) almost anyone in the government would pick the wrong decision and try to hide it. For one example we can look at the Bill Clinton scandal. The question also came up "would you let go five leading terrorists for a traitor?." Another interesting point is made by a reporter to CNN "The government is comprised almost entirely of lawyers that were paid for years to lie and argue the fact that they are right even when they aren't.
         Trust in the government is at an all time low. America as a whole does not have the trust and faith in the government we used. 87% of Americans no longer trust the government to do the right thing. Obama's overall approval is at 52% which is the lowest of any president ever. Although 35% of democrats in America still trust the government at least sometimes only 9% of republicans trust them at all and for good reason. "The numbers of those who trust in the government have sunken so low it it is hard to tell if we ever routinely did" stated Keating Holland, head of CNN polling.
         Many people believe that "the right thing to do" is purely based on opinion. That is false considering there have been many instances in which there was a clear and present choice that was obviously the right thing to do. Trading five evil men sworn to kill Americans for one traitor for example is an obvious example of the wrong thing to do. Trading with terrorists is illegal in America for a reason yet Obama disregarded that. The reality is that Obama does see the Taliban as a terrorist group but can't admit it because it violates Americas long standing principal against negotiating with terrorists for hostages." Stated Conn Caroll.
     There have been many examples of the government hiding important things from us but even more than that they have lied about and denied it. In the end no matter what is said America has already lost faith in the government. We should not perceive that the government is always watching over and doing the right thing when they have proven otherwise so many times before. These are all reasons warning you that we cannot trust the government.