The Patriot Act | Teen Ink

The Patriot Act

By Jason_Ow3ns BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Jason_Ow3ns BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent” ~Victor Hugo

What if I told you the government can now allow creeps in the FBI to legally stalk you? Unfortunately this is true, and you won't even know if it's happening, all thanks to the USA PATRIOT Act. The ability to let the government bypass the first and fourth amendment. The ability to un-warranty search anyone without reason. The act that believes the only way to protect us is to take away our freedom. The act that should be abolished, and if not abolished than rewritten in order to secure our American rights. The Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act.

The USA patriot act was originally established in 2001 shortly after 9/11. This act allows the government to condone searches, gain access to online information about people, files of businesses, information about phone calls, and information about specific people from doctors and other people who see certain customers. All of this can be done by force, without a warrant, and without a viable reason to even search a person . The only thing the FBI has to do to start a private search is to get their reasons for searching certified by a judge who is not allowed to deny the certification. The project itself only uses money to expand than provide proper oversight on the project. With a lack of money going into keeping the integrity of the act, anyone in the department of the FBI that is apart of the act can spy and search whomever they want.

I may make this law sound bad, but it might just be protecting us more than we know. Due to its secrecy we will never know how effective it has been, but I can tell you that it is working. Since a couple week after the tragic terrorist act 9/11 this act has been put into effect. Since that time, we haven't experienced a incident since. Maybe 9/11 was a rare occurrence, but if we have something being used to protect the country and we haven't been hurt since, how can I say it all bad?

The only problem with the effectiveness of the patriot act is how it achieves protecting its citizens. In the 4th amendment, it is stated that the government cannot condone a search without a warrant and showing that a crime has been committed or will be committed. This act completely breaks that amendment by allowing the government to search whoever they pick and choose without any warrant whatsoever. It breaks the first amendment by making people under private searches remain silent about the matter. This means that the government can by law make you prohibited from exercising your freedom of speech. The government should not be allowed to bypass or amendments. What's next on the list when we start protecting this country by breaking the foundation it sits on.
Now since the FBI can now break the amendments and search without reason, how do we know we can trust the people in the FBI. If the project only expands while no money gets funded into its oversight, how can we be certain that some creep doesn’t go stalking people. Some other little perks the FBI workers have is the ability to use wiretaps and break into your home and search when you're not home. This act should put the American people on edge, if anyone working the FBI can by law start stalking people, this act could be jeopardizing the safety of the people the act protects.

The main goal of this paper is to inform you of the dangers of the patriot act and to encourage people to protest against this act and spread awareness. If more people realize the privacy breach of our fellow Americans and what dangers it can cause, eventually the government may grow to see the flaws in their ways and abolish the act. America can find greater ways to protect the American people than taking away our amendments. We are trying to find ways to protect the country by breaking up the topsoil of the foundation this country sits on, and the biggest fear of mine is that once the topsoil is gone, it's going to get a lot easier to keep digging.