All of Us | Teen Ink

All of Us

April 29, 2015
By ShaquanMcDowell SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
ShaquanMcDowell SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Every generation needs a new revolution"


It's inarguable: There is a system which is obviously, undeniably destructive toward a sectionalized portion of OUR community, and it's a necessity that we focus on ways to remedy this circumstance.  This, however, does not produce or distribute a right to any individual, regardless of their frustration, to proceed on the destruction of property, to which they have no personal claim. Such actions do not seek justice, but further infringe upon the rights of those who have worked to produce the resources, objects, or materials now tarnished without legitimate claim. To destroy a vehicle, or window, or church is to have disregard for the innocent people who have not violated oneself or one's belief ---- its to invoke fear into the masses, most of which who have done nothing intentional, to harm anyone.


Please take note that I placed great emphasis on OUR community, as in connection to a previous letter of my own, I spoke to my belief of all of us falling into one large bracket. All of us. Yes we all have different skin colors, yes we all are of separate economic background, but at the core we all are members of a centralized community, which can only go forth if we all dialogue and we all have equally open ears. That's undeniable and an irrefutable statement.

When discussing the change of America's institutions, we have to understand that this change is a concern of each of us, no matter who or where we are in this nation. It's not an alteration for one individual, one color, one people : we exist under the umbrella of a larger collective, and each of us must come to terms with that and invite this into our embrace - Welcome it with open arms.

People preach to me all the the time "It's impossible not to see skin color" and to them I reply "You're right. And in honesty, I have yet to find an individual who's skin color completely mimics my own. So why do I , if Im basing communal cooperation on skin color alone, then why are a million shades of people considered only one community? Shouldn't there be millions?". The question is rhetorical, for I am aware of the answer . "It's the connection of a common history, a common strife.", this of which I agree.

I then ask though, "who's strife?". Reply: "Black people's", My answer : "America's".

The strife which has been endured has more concern with us a  nation an our progress with one another, than it does with the skin, with which we identify. We as a country, as united people under the state to which we serve have endured more together as a conglomerate, than we have as divided entities. In some instances we have failed one another, and in many we still fail one another, but this does not mean that we are not apart of one another. This does not mean we can disregard the perception of each other, the feeling of the next because they don't look like us. The fact is what brings us together under the flag of Red, White, And Blue is more similar than different.

I say this not to disregard the inequalities which continue to plague our systems, yet I submit this in order to offer a resolution toward them. I am offering, asking, pleading that we choose to identity more so with our collective purpose. It is imperative that we learn to sift through this decision to marginalize our connection to one another. It is essential that we recognize and take heed of each other, as brothers and sisters, for we are. We all share a common history and we all share a common resolve, to ensure that each and everyone of us can achieve our purpose. Don't let the shadow of skin color cloud that perception.

Through these means, through this mentality we will trail and blaze a new path on which tomorrows children may enter. A dome of cooperation through dialogue, through open ears, and through legitimate change that they wont have to bare witness to, but already knows as the norm. We will live to serve one another based on our similarities, and not deprive or demonize one another because of our differences. We are one, united, standing, and marching forward.

Believe this, internalize this, appreciate this,

May all find light,


The author's comments:

Written in Respons To The Baltimore Riots that occurred on April 27, 2015