Arabs Uncovered | Teen Ink

Arabs Uncovered

March 20, 2015
By Anonymous

When we talk about discrimination against women, the first thing that comes to mind for most people, it’s "The Arabs", as we have heard in the news. When it comes to the media shows, most of the time we see the oppressed and subjugated Muslim women, which we assume is normal. There is no denying that the treatment of women is horrible, but instead of solving the problem seems worse every day. This is because we are trying to discrimination against women as a Muslim or Islamic country, but rather a problem of Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia. It's time to stop generalizing Muslims as a culture that aims women because, to solve the problem of discrimination against women, it is important to realize that this is not the norm in Islamic countries, but something that should be addressed in specific cases .


Domestic violence is an increasingly real problem, and many people do not seem to be working effectively to stop. More than ever, we see a wave of feminists, the struggle for gender equality. But not many people fight for the things that are important for a more equal world. We now that in Saudi Arabia, women are not allowed to drive and have a literacy rate of 50% (against 72% of men, when the Taliban ruled Afghanistan, they did not allow women to be seen without the burka and had a control over them.


Now, you should be watching and thinking about the typical "When the Muslim countries that will make things right? Are", but if you say it is contributing more to the discrimination against Muslims gender equality. Nothing is more deplorable that discriminate against women, but generalizing as a problem of "Islam" or "Muslim countries" does not help to solve the problem. Of course, a woman who cheated on her husband will be stoned in Afghanistan as punishment but more University of Jordan 65% of female students. Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia should be condemned by the international community and the media, but as countries non-Muslim organizations.


To say that discrimination is a problem of Muslim culture, could not be more wrong, after all, six predominantly Muslim countries (including Indonesia, which has the majority of Muslims in the world) have had a president, 6 more than the United States. Nothing is more important to stop the systematic discrimination against countries against women, however, it is essential that no action will be taken against the "Muslim countries", as it is a very large group, and can not be grouped to be this purpose. It is not right to put Turkey, which enacted laws against domestic violence, allows birth control, and 36% of university researchers are women (compared to 33% of the European Union) to the brutal treatment of women in countries such as United Arab Emirates States where domestic violence by the government is confirmed.


It is clear that some organizations and countries use the Quran to justify the way they treat women, however, it is important to realize that they have interests in mind. (Verse 33:35) "In fact, the Muslim men and Muslim women, the faithful and the faithful, the obedient men and obedient women, the real men and real women, male and female patients, men and humble humble men women, charity and social welfare, women, men and women of fasting fasting, the men who guard their private parts and the women who do, and men who remember God often and women to do - for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward "When we talk about the Quran, is like all other religions, is all about interpretation and its interpretation, people always have interest in mind .. For example, suppose was found that women cover to protect your body, but men have the same rights "men who guard their private parts and the women who do." Islam expects the same duties of men and women "Indeed, the Muslim men and Muslim women, the faithful and the faithful, the obedient men and obedient women, the real men and real women, men and women patients of patients, men and humble humble women, the men and women of charity charity, men and women of fasting fast ... God has prepared for them forgiveness and a great reward. "This quote shows that in God's eyes, it is expected that things that men and women the same, however, due to lack of education, misunderstandings and conflicts of interest in interpreting Islam, women are subjected to cruel treatment in many Muslim countries
Yes, the Quran supports domestic violence and discrimination against women, there is no denying that. As the Qur'an states things that discriminate women, there are also verses from the Bible and the Torah  which do the same, as this, “If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do”. (Exodus 21:7), this quote is from the bible and here we see how any religion can be discriminating against women. Discrimination against women has to be stopped, but the assignment of guilt does not work at all, especially when all religions are to blame. The problem is not Muslims in general, but a fraction of the radical Muslim impose the Quran as a law, which, after all, is a text written in a different era and violent humans. However, as I said this is not the norm, insurance Saudi Arabia follows the laws of Sharia, but Jordan, Egypt, Indonesia and many other Muslim countries not. After all, only a small part of the Muslim population are part of Isis, Al Qaeda, the Taliban or al Shabaab. And groups like this arise in areas full of chaos and violence that can gain the advantage to implement their version of Islam. The truth is that these people are the exception, because their ijtihad hand, a liberal form of Islam is to develop, promote critical thinking in interpreting the Quran way. Islamic feminism is another movement that is developing in favor of gender equality, not in spite of Islam, but with her and Islamic teachings that support gender equality. This not only takes place through the motions, while 20% of the House of Representatives seats are held by women, 50% of the seats in Congress Senegal needs to be filled by women under the law. It's time to stop blaming "Muslim countries" to discrimination or women say that "all Muslims discriminate against women" because it simply is not true. Instead, discrimination must be dismissed as a secular issue, for example South Africa has the highest rape rate in the world, a problem that is not allocated to the Protestant church, and that the problem should be solved not within the parameters Protestant church, but as a problem in South Africa.


The solution to discrimination against women is complicated, and nobody has the right answer, however, nothing will be resolved if we continue to blame others to get rid of guilt. Instead of a Muslim problem, discrimination against women is a problem of a human being that affects all parts of the world. I'm from Colombia, and although I live along the top 1%, which are supposed to be educated and respectful I still see the disrespect towards women or Machismo as we call it. Instead of blaming Islam for discrimination against women, allow yourself to be understand that all religions, can be discriminating, like Hinduism and Judaism do it to. There has to be investment in education, because without it, discrimination against women will increase regardless of culture or religion.


Finalizing; the world cannot be 100% equal if there are discussion in the world like the one in database.org  with people stating: “It's a waste of money to educate a girl child because they are not going to need that kind of education in their future. Women should grow up to be wives and mothers. They should stay home to take care of a family.” This forum ended with 25% of the voters saying that it was a waste of time to educate a woman, maybe we can say that we won!, 75% voted against the question but this battle is still going on, with 25% of the voters there is still work to be done so we can have that equal world we dream of.