A Day of Opportunity | Teen Ink

A Day of Opportunity

By Specialk13k GOLD, Ocean View, Delaware
Specialk13k GOLD, Ocean View, Delaware

"They say that right before you die, your life flashes before your eyes. Make it worth watching."

It isn’t every day that your average 8th grader gets the opportunity to see history in the making. But then, this isn’t your average country. To have the opportunity to take part in such a monumental event is freedom in its most glorious form.

For me, being in our nation’s capitol on one of the biggest days in our nation’s history, is a once in a life time chance. And it is proof that this life is full of opportunity. I’ve heard stories from my grandmother, about growing up in a segregated world. I’ve heard of how my family struggled to make ends meet while living on a simple farm. How wonderful is it that I can tell my children of a time when diversity was embraced by many, and hardship experienced by few. It is obvious that our country has taken huge strides over the past few decades, but few are comparable to this. Hundreds of years from now, when all eye witnesses have passed, and there are few stories left to be told to future generations, elementary students will be reading about the first African American president. Although few citizens in attendance will be marked in the record books, there is no changing the fact that I have the opportunity to be part of history.

Yes, many teens will be able to tell their children about attending the concert of the latest pop sensation, but how many will have the opportunity to recall seeing their own senator being sworn into office, alongside the nation’s first African American president? Even fewer can say that they saw the vice president-elect in the judging stand at a hometown election parade, and waved to him from their passing float. In America, everyone has their own unique story, and how extravagant that the inauguration of the 44th president will be part of mine
There is no doubt that millions of Americans will be recounting this monumental event many years from now, as it will most likely be a monumental event in their life. I am excited to say that I will be one of them. This Inauguration, and the next four years will be a huge turning point for this country. And at the tender age of thirteen, I will have the chance to see the magnificence of America, and the bright future that it holds.

I've been writing since the 1st grade, and have recently hit my stride with poetry. This would have been an entry to the Inauguration Tickets Essay Contest, had I thought to check the age limit before I wrote it.