Why ISIS is a Household Name | Teen Ink

Why ISIS is a Household Name

February 27, 2015
By Smiley1 BRONZE, Burbank, Illinois
Smiley1 BRONZE, Burbank, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

ISIS. The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) is arguably the most feared terrorist group of modern history. By inducing terror, ISIS attempts to establish supreme religious and political rule in the Middle East as an Islamic caliphate. Not only is ISIS negatively influencing the region it directly oppresses, it has a large influence on the world. Compared to other terrorist groups such as Hamas, the Taliban, and Al Qaeda, ISIS is a prominent global power.


Terrorist groups are distinguished by different goals and and perspectives, yet they utilize common methods of achieving power through terrorism: the use of violence to rebel against and intimidate government. A terrorist carries out unethical actions towards towards citizens for religious and/or political purposes as part of a large organization, such as ISIS, or by oneself. Through violent massacres including bombings, shootings, suicide flights, and executions, as well as abductions of innocent civilians and leaders, fear remains the most powerful weapon of terrorists (Gale, 2014). However, the goals terrorist groups intend to achieve separate them from each other.

 

Branched from al-Qaeda, the terrorist group held responsible for the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center, ISIS has surpassed al-Qaeda in power. Inspired by ISIS’s prosperity, the Pakistani Taliban, a terrorist group with the goal to gain control of Pakistan, likewise separated as tensions rose within the group. The new splinter group, Jamaat-e-Ahrar, and the original Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan share a rivalry similar to that between al-Qaeda and ISIS (Mehsud and Walsh, 2014). Recently Jamaat-e-Ahrar pledged allegiance to a faction that splintered from ISIS known as Khorasani, which is rumored to become a bigger threat to the United States than ISIS. Though ISIS’s divergence from al-Qaeda benefitted its own organization and enabled it to thrive, society as a whole is harmed due to the emergence of more violent terrorist groups.


As of now, ISIS is an international terrorist group with ambitions for control over the Middle East, throughout Iraq and Syria. Comparing Hamas, a domestic Palestinian Islamic terrorist group that seeks to eradicate Israel, with ISIS, “Hamas’s struggle is nationalistic. ISIS, by contrast, dreams of forcing its vision of Islamic law on the entire planet” (Bryant, 2014, pg 1 of 2). Both groups have similar goals to establish a caliphate while threatening civilians and Israel, but ISIS targets all non-supporters while carrying out its quest for an Islamic caliphate. Indeed, ISIS’s international role and actions contribute to a global reputation.


Moreover, ISIS exponentially gains support. As they conquer more territory, more loyal militants join ISIS (the number of members exceeding more than thirty thousand); hence, ISIS grows stronger by the minute. Due to control over many oil refineries and other facilities, they receive an abundance of funds to continue functioning (Starr, 2014). According to a U.S. intelligence official, “The Islamic State terror group is now a credible alternative to al-Qaeda that is expanding its presence;” however, “as momentum slows, ISIS will be under more pressure, reality sets in” (Starr, 2014 pg 1). That is to say, ISIS’s irrational ambition for power will become one of the elements that would lead to its downfall.


Overwhelmingly, a peak in ISIS’s influence has not yet been reached. It will not be reached on its own. An international terrorist organization with roots in al-Qaeda, ISIS continues to carry out violence and treachery against innocence. The United States receives threats and several beheadings; the carrying out of which is one of the reasons why ISIS is particularly well-known. Many people around the world are familiar with the fact that ISIS is a dangerous terrorist group which causes suffering as shown in the news. However, further knowledge about the impact terrorist groups have towards humankind can provide a new perspective for people of all ages, including teens. This sparks the question, “What can I do?” and the hope to replace “ISIS” as a household term with “peace.”


The author's comments:

ISIS, terrorism, war: These are words all people are exposed to, but how many truly know about the story behind these words?