Dear Future President, | Teen Ink

Dear Future President,

By dsturnea2015 SILVER, Brunswick,
dsturnea2015 SILVER, Brunswick,

"When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change."

Dear future President, 

There are many attributes and characteristics that will qualify one to be President of the United States.  One must have the age requirement, the political and leadership experience; one must have the agenda that is futile to the nation.  However whatever the agenda may be, I find it somewhat odd that these agendas are (forgive my rudeness), minimal to the wellbeing of this nation.

When running your campaigns and advertising your monumental agendas, the strategies are minimal in the overall, grand picture.  Indeed these minimal plans (whatever they may be) will contribute to the nation, yet where is the grand plan?   Citizens are looking for the leader that will say what has never been said, actions that have never been accomplished, all benefitting the nation.  I have some very personal suggestions to you; these suggestions are indeed going to affect the nation's future.

First off, I must address and bring forth the issue of the education system.  When I was in elementary school, I was taught at a frequent pace.  I was taught to take my time in my school work, always remembering that quality exceeds quantity.  However as I grew into a high school student I learned quickly that this theory was diminished.  I will be blunt here:  our education system is not working.  Our efforts and report cards go out nationally, compared with other nations as if we have something to prove.  This is arrogance.  We bribe school systems with money, in exchange to reproduce better test scores.  Standardized tests are indeed dreadful.  Students are doubted and questioned, always being tested like lab rats; we are constantly going through trials and testing’s that exhaust the mind.  We set aside social and communication skills in order to succeed in a standardized test that is never handed back to us.  We never see what our mistakes were.  In overall, the education system was never about learning, it is about money and funds.  I strongly ask the next future leader to abolish this dreadful way of moneymaking.

The next issue is a very sensitive subject, and this issue is same sex marriage.  I noticed recently that majority of the nations under communism and dictatorship prohibit same sex marriage.  It terrifies me to realize that the United States currently follows the same habits as these nations.  I find it ironic that we try so hard as a nation to abolish the ways of communism, yet are unaware that we share the same ideas when it involves same sex marriage.  As a candidate for President of the United States, one must realize that millions of people in the nation fall under the LGBT category.  For those who will encourage the illegalization of same sex marriage you must realize that you are depriving over a million citizens of their rights.

If one is to prohibit and ban same sex marriage, I intensely ask these candidates to look into a camera lens and repeat this: "citizens who are gay, lesbian, transgender.  You are forbidden to marry those of the same gender."  In all honesty, that is what one is truly saying when they intend to outlaw same sex marriage.  Now one can easily rebuttal and say that on a religious scale, the man is to marry a woman and to be gay or a lesbian is a sin.  However Presidential candidate, one must remember that the laws of the United States are based off the Constitution and its implied powers, not the bible.  What about those citizens who follow a different religion?  What if their bible allows same sex marriage, then what do we say to them?  Gay marriage is inevitable.  The preservation of a nation is not on the reservation table of the political agenda. 

These issues are possibly two of the most vital for our nation’s future.  Your footprints will either scar or leave an imprint on this nation.  Please consider what the future of the nation will be like when the past leaders fade and the next generation of youth will be born. 

Sincerely,

A citizen of the United States of America