Second Amendment | Teen Ink

Second Amendment

February 16, 2015
By RandomGuy84 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
RandomGuy84 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Something that is a big problem in the US right now is the second amendment, and how the government wants to take away the right to keep and bear arms. People are on each side of the statement, that we should or shouldn’t have guns. Guns are clearly a thing that we need to clear up. People say that guns kill people. But who really kills them, the gun or the person? Who pulls the trigger? Here are some reasons why we should have them. Guns are used for hunting game and its a sport, Guns are used for self defense, and is a right.


One reason that we should have guns is that they are used for hunting and its a sport. Why does the DNR give out tags every year to people to go and hunt? To say that you can go harvest one deer or one bear? Because almost species need to be controlled. Even humans. China is already doing this, a couple is only allowed to have one child. One source, http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/hunting/alternative-methods/sport-hunting1.htm, has done a huge amount of research on this topic and according to Howstuffworks, “By lowering the number of an overpopulated species, hunters take the strain off nature, which would slowly become depleted of food sources and shelter for the animals.” No one can say that having wolfs in every place in america is good because they destroy everything that they can. Having animal control and hunting keeps us safe, because then we don't have bears or wolves in every town in the US. Some may say that hunting is bad because it harms animals. Thats also why we have the DNR to monitor species so that they don't go extinct.


Another reason that people should be allowed to have guns is that its self defence. I think everyone knows that this is reasonable. But if they were to take away guns what would we use for self defence, a knife or a bat?. The government is saying that guns are being used to kill people. Know thats 100% true,But you can kill anyone as easily with a bat or a knife. Here is a real story that happened that might change your mind about gun rights.
“ A woman in a rural neighborhood in Georgia is likely alive only because she had access to a firearm when she needed it. According to local media reports, a woman was sleeping when two suspects broke into her home. She accessed a firearm and became involved in a firefight with the suspects. During the exchange of gunfire the woman was shot at least three times. Fortunately, she was also able to return fire and force the suspects into retreating.” Know think of this, what if she didn’t have that gun, what would she do? Grab a knife and run after them. No.They would easily have shot here. But she had a firearm to defend herself. No one can say that saving a life is bad. People need guns for self defence.

 

The last reason why we should have guns is that, believe it or not, but it is a law that we have the right to bear arms. You cannot take away our rights as citizens.The declaration of independence states,  A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.                                              

 

People have debated almost everything about this amendment. It is a very sad thing when people do dumb things about shooting someone or even kids. Like when Sandy Hook Elementary shooting happened. That just didn't affect the families of those kids,. It affected the whole nation. But this was a big step for this country that we need to get this under control, and that is what the government is doing every day.

As we think of all the research,we cannot deny the fact that guns are useful in our everyday lives. This matters in our lives because if the government would to take away our rights that would be a stepping stone for them to maybe take away all our rights. It's your choice to be a true citizen or not to take advantage of our rights. This doesn’t mean to blow someone’s head off.  


The author's comments:

Guns is a problem in the US. I feel that guns should stay in the US because they are used for many things that help us in are everyday lives.