School Meal Program | Teen Ink

School Meal Program

Are you unhappy with the school lunches? Are you worried about what is being fed to children? Schools are now being forced to change their lunches. The prices are going up, we are seeing more processed foods, smaller proportions, and everything from the a la carte has to meet a standard. This change is from Michelle Obama, and went into effect in 2014. She has  been fighting for a healthier option in school to try and change the obesity percentage. Is this food actually helping though?

Bremen Public School is being forced into changing their lunches. With the change in school lunches we have seen a lot of complaints. Students are very unhappy with the meals, and parents are worried about how much and what all their children are eating. The price of the meals are going up, and for less food! All the food that the students are being served is processed. Al a carte has changed their food because they must meet Michelle’s standards. 

No fundraiser foods or beverages can be sold in competition with the school meals in the lunchroom during lunch times. Beverages and foods must be low in calories, sodium, and sugar to be served or sold to students. Vending machines cannot be on until 30min after the school day has ended. Food and beverages must be caffeine free. Any food or beverages being sold to students must meet the requirements.

At Bremen Elementary Middle school the lunches consist of a main dish, a fruit, a vegetable, and milk. Students get to chose what they want and don’t want to get. To get the students to really be eating healthy, we need to change our ways. 

All served food should be fresh not processed. It should be prepared to look appealing. Students should have more options of fruits and vegetables. This would encourage them to eat healthier lunches because they would have their own choice. 

There should be water available in place of milk. Bremen should change their milk to a new producer other than TruMoo. TruMoo is not the best milk, it doesn’t taste good. We also need to change the container because the milk taste like cardboard. 

We should change the proportions and prices of the meals. Kids aren’t getting enough food. They are going home starving. Also the prices are ridiculous for how much you are really getting. The price should revolve around the size of your meal.