Who is the Real Enemy: Gun or Person? | Teen Ink

Who is the Real Enemy: Gun or Person?

By Mac-kenzie BRONZE, Castle Rock, Colorado
Mac-kenzie BRONZE, Castle Rock, Colorado

“Gun left on porch kills passerby.” People who do not support gun rights might be surprised or should be surprised that this is not a headline commonly seen, since most feel as if the gun is the problem not the person. People shoot off guns, the gun does not just magically shoot off by itself. Unlike cows, they trample people and are the ones controlling what is happening. Cows are the real enemy when it comes to danger, people with guns are another story, the gun itself is not an issue.

Within the United States, it doesn't matter who you run into, everyone has strong opinions on the issues within the U.S.A. Whether its gun rights, medical care, school schedules, jobs etc. One heated controversy at themoment focuses on gun rights. People either vote for the right to bear arms or support the presidents opinion that we should be stripped away of this right.

As an American citizen, I do not want my rights to be taken away. Who would? In the United States, we are “free”. Free to make our own choices, free to buy what we want, free to be who we are. With being a country that's “free”, I would expect that the government would not tell me if I can own a gun or not.

It’s in human nature to want control. If you think about it no one wants to be powerless with no say in the world. Being powerless means that you don’t have a say in anything, you don't get to make your own choices; your bossed around. But why? Due to human nature, people think they have rights over others. Yes, as a child you don’t have as much power as your parents but that doesn't mean you can’t have some power. The government has more power to make world wide decisions then a common citizen would but they don’t have the power to control you as you are not powerless. In the U.S.A. we elect our presidents; the peoples power as a whole.

So who is to say that we can’t own our own guns? We have the freedom to do just that. If the right to bear arms was taken away from us, the citizens of the United States of America would not be able to defend themselves in a time of need.

Numerous people think that we should not be able to own guns. School shootings, suicide, murders, and many other horrible things happen with guns. Horrible things can happen with anything though. Guns are not the problem. Yes kids have gotten frustrated with the hardships of life and have gone and tried to kill themselves and many others but the guns are still not the problem. The person had some motive or desire to kill others. One reason they might want to kill others is due to mental disabilities, mental illnesses, depression or they just want revenge. Some teen shootings happen due to the teen being on certain medications that may have anaffect on them such as suicidal thoughts. Many parents are not able to support their children on these medications as the parents do not receive the support themselves. Countless anti-depressant and mental disability drugs are expensive and are not commonly covered by insurance plans.

Accidents happen. The government can not stop all tragedies from happening no matter how hard they try. Someone might be shot, someone might get in a horrible car accident because someone was texting while driving or they might even be run over by a cow. Bad things happen everyday. People who shoot others are intentionally wanting to hurt others; it is no accident.

Since people think that guns are the problem, they should think about other weapons also. According to the FBI less people each year are killed by guns then hammers and clubs(Awr Hawkins, Breitbart News Network). Should there be restrictions on who can own hammers and clubs? Should these tools be considered a weapon or is that infringing on our rights to far? People who want to harm others will find a way no matter what tool they choose. The tools alone are not dangerous it is the people behind them.

Many news channels and major newspapers do not cover the "little" shooting stories. They get less publicity. Why? People don’t want others to know about them because then they might change their minds; vote for gun rights. Places with “no gun zones” are targeted for people who want to shoot others. The Aurora Theater shooting in Colorado last year was no accident. The shooter targeted that theater because in being a no gun zone, no one would have a gun there. This was a horrible tragedy that might have been able to be stopped faster if a person had had a gun there. Many stories that are not covered by the news are ones where reaction time for people whipping out a gun are much faster. Less people know about these stories because the news does not want people to know everything; the truth about what is going on in the United States.Freedom comes with many sacrifices needed to be made. Guns are not an issue but some people who handle them are. No matter how hard anyone tries to prevent accidents from happening they will not be successful. Being stripped of the right to bear arms would not solve many issues but instead would be the cause of a different set of issues.

Dawn said...
on Apr. 22 2016 at 7:59 pm
Thank you for writing this.

Elizabeth said...
on Sep. 24 2014 at 10:13 am
This article was really interesting