Should Students Who Commit Cyber bullying Be Suspended From School? | Teen Ink

Should Students Who Commit Cyber bullying Be Suspended From School?

“It’s easy to be mean when you’re anonymous. There’s a lot of people who wouldn't have the cajones to say in person what they do online. But you can’t listen to somebody you don’t even know. Opinions of your friends and family matter, but you can’t listen to somebody who is nobody to you.” (Brendan Dooling) In this quote, Dooling states that anyone can have the guts to be mean when you’re behind a computer screen. This is why cyber bullying is a big concern to society today, especially with all uses of technology. On one side of the issue are those who think students should be suspended for cyber bullying; on the other side are those who do not think students should be suspended.
There are some people who believe students should be suspended from school if they’re caught cyber bullying. One reason, is because cyber bullying is one of the major causes of teen suicide. Younger generations, unlike their parents' generations, often socialize, hang out, and communicate online, rather than in person. They prefer to text rather than talk on the phone, and often prefer to socialize on Twitter or Facebook rather than in a restaurant or a local town park. Some young people spend too much time in front of a computer screen, spending up to 20 hours a day, seven days a week. Spending countless hours a day, every day, on gaming or perusing the Internet can interfere with young people's emotional, physical, intellectual and spiritual development, often leading to depression and suicide attempts. (Ofer Zur, Ph.D.)

Another reason why students who are caught cyber bullying should be suspended is because bullying is bullying. If bullying by physical contact results in suspension, why shouldn't cyber bullying result in the same. Cyberbullying mentally and emotionally scars a person, causing low self esteem, depression and even suicide. Not only should the school suspend the bully, but also create programs in the school discouraging and preventing it from occurring with other people. Guys and girls who are bullied may find their schoolwork and health suffering. Students may begin having stomach pains and diarrhea and may get diagnosed with a digestive condition called irritable bowel syndrome as a result of the stress that comes from being bullied throughout the school year. Others may spend their afternoons hungry and unable to concentrate in class because he or she was too afraid to go to the school cafeteria at lunchtime. (Lyness D.)

On the other side, there are some people who believe students should not be suspended from school if they’re caught cyberbullying. One reason, is because cyberbullying typically takes place outside of school and off school property. Students don’t get rewarded for things they do outside of school so why should they be punished for something that was done off school property? Schools claim that cyberbullying will escalate into violence at school. Should schools take the responsibility to punish the bully? Or should they only punish the bully if cyberbullying or any other type of violence takes place on school campus?

Another reason why students who are caught cyberbullying should not be suspended is because you can’t pinpoint who the bully is. The whole reason why kids cyberbully is because they can be anonymous. You can make a fake account within a matter of a few minutes. Cyber bullies are really hard to pinpoint. Why deny them the right to an education when they can just get suspended and cyberbully them again on their own computer at their house? It will still affect the victims focus on school. It will still cause violence out of school.

To sum up both sides of this argument, one side states that students should be suspended from school for cyberbullying because it is one of the major causes for teen suicide and because bullying is bullying no matter if it’s physical or not. Feelings get hurt and self confidence goes down. The other side of the argument, states that students shouldn’t be suspended from cyberbullying because it’s off school campus and because you can’t pinpoint the bully. Bullies find it easier to cyber bully online because you can be anonymous.

I feel that cyber bullying is a huge issue that needs to come to an end. It is the reason for cutting, school shootings, and even suicide. To the bullies, they just think it’s a computer game and they are pushing buttons without even realizing the damage that the are doing. Some kids do it for thrills, some do it from jealousy and some are just going along with the crowd. Many people think that the negative effects can be forgot about by a click of a button but it isn’t that easy. Ignoring the problem isn’t that easy because their self-esteems are already crushed. It follows them everywhere they go.

I also feel that cyber bullies should be suspended for any actions they do on the internet if the school can figure out who exactly did the bullying if it’s not anonymous. Schools have done all that they could to prevent cyberbullying. They have had programs in school to educate the students to show how hurtful and wrong cyberbullying really is. The students know that it is wrong so why do it? They know what is wrong and they know that they wouldn’t want to be cyberbullied. It is their own fault if they get suspended.

In conclusion, I don’t think you should be putting people down. You should be bringing them back up. If the students don’t choose to listen to the programs the school provides to prevent cyberbullying, then they can get suspended. It’s not fair to students who are incredibly smart and have something in life to look forward to in life, to be brought down to their lowest level and for them to even think about suicide attempts.

Works Cited
Abernathy, Michael D. “Teen found guilty in country’s first cyber-bullying jury trial.” Times-News
(Burlington, NC) 06 Feb. 2014: Points of View Reference Center. Web. 17 March 2014.
Gibson, Jenna. “Rochester organization to present cyberbullying talk.” Post-Bulletin (Rochester, MN)
14 June 2010: Points of View Reference Center. Web. 17 March 2014.
Lyness , D. Dealing With Bullying, Web. 18 Mar 2014.
“McKinley High cheerleaders suspended amid probe into cyber bullying allegations.” Honolulu
Star-Advertiser 09 Nov. 2013: Points of View Reference Center. Web. 17 March 2014.
Zur, O. (2011). Teen Violence, School Shootings, Cyberbullying, Internet Addiction, T.V. and
gaming Violence & Teen Suicide: Facts, Ideas, And Actions, Online Publication by Zur Institute. Web. 18 March 2014

KieranWard said...
on Mar. 5 2018 at 9:17 am
KieranWard,
btw im in 7th grade so...

KieranWard said...
on Mar. 5 2018 at 9:16 am
KieranWard,
they should not its a joke if some one said kill your self on the internet and you do it you had problems way before that ive atemted suiside and have anziaty and deppretion real bullying in schools are the problem this cyberbulling stuff fear mongering

Nely the bos said...
You are good

Bluee12 said...
on Sep. 20 2016 at 9:26 am
Bluee12,
I think they should, I mean, it is the leading cause in depression and teen suicide.

Bluee12 said...
on Sep. 20 2016 at 9:26 am
Bluee12,

Bluee12 said...
on Sep. 20 2016 at 9:26 am
Bluee12,

Bluee12 said...
on Sep. 20 2016 at 9:26 am
Bluee12,

Bluee12 said...
on Sep. 20 2016 at 9:26 am
Bluee12,

Bluee12 said...
on Sep. 20 2016 at 9:26 am
Bluee12,

I think they should be expelled

bubblegumpop34, Webster, Minnesota

Dare to Dream, If people push you to far just explode with a party!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OPINIONS ON WHY KIDS SHOULD BE EXPELLED FROM SCHOOLS FOR CYBER-BULLYING?