The World Around US | Teen Ink

The World Around US

April 8, 2014
By MrZackf32 BRONZE, Rocky Hill, Connecticut
MrZackf32 BRONZE, Rocky Hill, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As many people are aware, there have been many world wide events happening lately. Many important events just do not make the televised news and unless a person looks for it, there is a slim to no chance of them ever receiving this information. The riots in Kiev, the missing Malaysian flight, and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine are some of the only international events people hear about in the news right now. In the Middle East, over 500 people in the Muslim brotherhood were sentenced to death, many civilian casualties for interaction with the military, suicide bombing, and so on. In the Americas, there was a landslide killing 24 people and 22 missing, an earthquake in Peru, and one of the biggest missed stories, the bringing of Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzman, Mexico’s biggest drug lord, into custody.

In the Middle East, 529 Muslims were sentenced to death on monday by the hand of the Egyptian government. The charges include violent riots in the southern Egyptian city of Minya last August. This massive death sentence was because of the death on a single Egyptian police officer. The riot was about a movement called “Pro-Morsey” where people had riots against those who did not support Mohammed Morsey, the first democratically elected Egyptian president. The death sentence is said to be highly unlikely to be carried out. There have been many civilian casualties when regarding foreign defenses. A family of four was shot to death by the Syrian army because they “were inside the perimeter and endangering the lives of the soldiers,” by just standing in front of the crowd. Another lost event occurred. In Lebanon, a suicide car bombing killed two people and injured 14 more. The driver was speeding and raised a large amount of suspicion amongst the other drivers. Once the car stopped, the bomb went off. A group called the “Free Sunni Brigade in Baalbek,” claimed responsibility for this crime on Twitter. It was also claimed by Al-Nusra Front in Lebanon, an offshoot of the Syrian rebel group, and announced that the Free Sunni Brigade was a hoax.

There was a deadly landslide in Snohomish county Washington this monday. There were a total of 24 people announced dead and 22 still missing. The youngest amongst the dead was four month old Sanoah Huestis and the oldest was a 71 year old yet to be identified. The Medical Examiner’s office in Snohomish County has released the names of 18 people and has yet to identify the other six. Also on Monday, Washington Governor Jay Inslee requested that President Barack Obama issue a major disaster declaration for the area. The governor asked for help with housing, funeral expenses, disaster-related personal expenses, and unemployment insurance for those who lose their jobs as a result of the mudslide.

Another story missed by the news was the earthquake in Peru. The number of people confirmed injured in an earthquake in Peru rose to 145, civil defense officials in the South American nation said Tuesday. The number of homes damaged or destroyed rose to 277, they said. Civil defense officials have been distributing tents to families whose houses were affected by the quake early Monday morning, they said Tuesday. The magnitude 6.3 quake hit about 15 kilometers (9 miles) southeast of Ica, at a depth of 39.2 kilometers (24.4 miles), according to the U.S. Geological Survey. It affected power in the region, but as of Tuesday, it had been restored in the districts of Parcona, Tinguina, Ocucaje and Ica. Officials said that most of the injured had gone home by Tuesday morning, although six remain in hospitals. Three each in the Regional Hospital and the Santa Maria del Socorro Hospital. A 6.9-magnitude earthquake struck the same region in October, leveling dozens of buildings and leaving some people homeless. In 2007, an 8.0-magnitude quake struck southwestern Peru, killing more than 500 people and injuring more than 1,000. The most serious damage from that quake occurred in towns and cities along the country's Pacific coast south of Lima, including Chincha, Canete, Pisco and Ica.

Another major story occurred when Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman had an assault rifle handy when authorities raided his beachside hideaway over the weekend, but the world's most wanted drug lord never opened fire. That is because marines used infrared and body-heat scanners to pinpoint the locations of everyone inside the condo and make sure they were asleep, a Mexican official told CNN. Saturday's pre-dawn operation that captured Guzman in the Mexican Pacific resort town of Mazatlan marked a dramatic twist in a case that has long captivated the country and frustrated investigators on both sides of the U.S.-Mexico border. The notorious Sinaloa cartel leader's nickname, which means "Shorty," belies the tall and near-mythic status Guzman achieved in recent years for his ability to elude capture by using bribes, safe houses and an army of cartel helpers. His 13 years on the lam ended Saturday inside a no-frills condo tower, where investigators found Guzman lying shirtless next to his beauty-queen wife. The Mexican official, who asked not to be identified because he is not authorized to speak publicly about the case, said that Guzman's body guard and the drug lord's 2-year-old twin daughters were also sleeping in the condo. "He had an AK-47 next to the bed. When the Mexican marines entered the condominium, he was still asleep," said Michael Vigil, a former Drug Enforcement Administration official who says he was briefed on the raid. "They used the element of surprise, and he did not have a chance to react and seize his weapon."

These are only a few example of events that have been lost in the media. If I had not done other research, I would never have known about any of these events because none of them were featured on the local news. This goes to show that a lot of information is not given to the public through the local and even world news.


The author's comments:
Stories of the day that never made it to a televised broadcast.