The Rush is On | Teen Ink

The Rush is On

By thecutervan BRONZE, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
thecutervan BRONZE, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

"Let me tell you who we conservatives are: we love people. When we look out over the United States of America, when we are anywhere, when we see a group of people, such as this or anywhere, we see Americans. We see human beings. We don't see groups. We don't see victims. (Rush Limbaugh)” People may see this quote and think “Hey, that’s kind of nice.” Unfortunately, that quote comes from the same man who said, “Holocaust? Ninety million Indians? Only four million left? They all have casinos — what’s to complain about?” and “She comes to me when she wants to be fed. And after I feed her, guess what, she's off to wherever she wants to be in the house, until the next time she gets hungry. She's smart enough to know she can't feed herself. She's actually a very smart cat. She gets loved. She gets adoration. She gets petted. She gets fed. And she doesn't have to do anything for it, which is why I say this cat's taught me more about women, than anything my whole life.”

Many segments of his shows involve different forms of racism and prejudiced views. One such claim involved black candidates being elected only because of their skin color. “[Obama] wouldn't have been voted president if he weren't black… There’s a lot of guilt out there, to show we're not racists. ‘We'll make this person wealthy and big and famous and so forth.’ If Obama weren't black, he'd be a tour guide in Honolulu or he'd be teaching Saul Alinsky constitutional law or lecturing on it in Chicago." He also said, “They ought to change Black History Month to Black Progress Month and start measuring it.” And this: “Let the unskilled jobs that take absolutely no knowledge whatsoever to do; let stupid and unskilled Mexicans do that work.”
By saying these things, he demeans and makes fun of an entire race. Dictionary.com defines racism as “hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.” Limbaugh repeated prejudiced statements makes it clear that he may be a racist.

In Limbaugh’s 1992 book, The Way Things Ought To Be, he created the term “feminazi.” He uses this term to describe a feminist whose “most important goal in the world is seeing to it that as many abortions as possible take place.” He makes that definition clear on his show from December 4, 1992. Since then, he began using that term to describe all feminists. In his February 7, 2012 show he declared the Obama Administration’s Contraception Regulation appeased the “feminazis and far-left.” On his February 3, 2012 show, he became upset when he found Susan G. Komen “caved big time to the feminazis at Planned Parenthood” when breast cancer screenings became available at Planned Parenthood.

This derogatory term has since spread throughout the country. I hear people use it to describe “angry feminists” all the time. They think it’s funny. To feminists, it’s offensive. We want people to listen to us, to hear us out, but too many make fun of us and take us as a joke. Feminism, described by dictionary.com is “the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.” Nothing there says we want “as many abortions as possible.” That, Rush Limbaugh came up with on his own.

Most of the time, he does not even bother to educate himself on the topics he adresses. He once said, “Cholesterol has nothing to do with heart disease. Nothing wrong with saturated fats,” despite what science says, and disregarding his own hospitalization in 2009 for chest pains. Another time, he said, “Do you know we have more acreage of forest land in the United States today than we did at the time the Constitution was written?” Once Limbaugh even said, "And don't forget, Sherrod Brown is black. There's a racial component here, too. And now, the newspaper that I'm reading all this from is The New York Times, and they, of course, don't mention that,” even though Sherrod Brown is, in fact, white.

Rush Limbaugh’s website boasts popular show ratings. According to Talker’s website, Rush Limbaugh’s show is the most popular and over 14 million people listen to it. Why? His show includes constant bashing on liberals, feminists, Obama, and so forth. He does not need to bash. He does not need to tear down other’s views and opinions. He can express his own opinion without making others, or himself, look like a fool. Unfortunately, this view poisons society because people listen to what he says, they follow what he says. If he bashes others, and continues to do so, what stops others from doing it as well?

I just get so angry that someone can get away with saying these kinds of things.