Repulic of Macedonia- not F.Y.R.O.M | Teen Ink

Repulic of Macedonia- not F.Y.R.O.M

By Georgemoran SILVER, Gloucestershire, Other
Georgemoran SILVER, Gloucestershire, Other

When it rains- it pours; they have money for wars, but can’t feed the poor

We are Macedonians, we speak Macedonian, and our country's name is the Republic of Macedonia! The Republic of Macedonia is now celebrating the 25th anniversary of its UN
membership and still the Greek Government walks over us with disdain and disregard- This is not an issue of naming; this is a matter of pride and The Macedonian identity issue was created by our southern neighbour Greece who oppose our name which is our fundamental individual and collective right.This issue, which could have been targeted at the source 25 years ago, has grown into an aggression between two countries which is verging on another conflict- another mass loss of life.

The overwhelming majority of countries that have recognized our constitutional
name, the Republic of Macedonia,clearly showing that most countries do not recognize this dispute as having a justified political basis. It is according to my deepest conviction, that this whole dispute was born 25 years ago as a device for a Greek political party to gain votes by creating an atmosphere of conflict- but more worryingly to undermine the ideal of democracy in the Balkans. Having ourselves adhered to the conditions laid down to us by the UN for the past 25 years it has become insulting watching the Greek government talk down to us, act for us and limit us. In an Macedonian initiative in 1995 the Republic agreed to change a large part of our identity in accord to Greek desires with their word that this dispute would end.The ludicrous ongoing violation of international law in Athens is forcing parents living on the cusp of the poverty line in Macedonia to watch their children's childhood dissipate into misery and their smiling faces to melt into skin and bones. The manner by which Greek government officials act on Macedonian trade is not only affecting the politicians of Skopje but the fruit sellers of Prilep and entrepreneurs of Strumica. The UN was established in order to validate international law.Why do we need international law if we do not adhere to it? If we turn a blind eye to this injustice and an obvious violation of international law, we will be directly responsible for breaking one of the ambassadors of world peace and the UN. We do not want that, nor can we allow it. If it were not for international law, anarchy would reign, and the UN would become a debate club without any fundamental competences. We do not want to participate in that, at the expense of everything, even to our own detriment. If we do not respect international law, are we not also disrespecting the 50 million victims that fought for it 70 years ago?

In addition to disputing the Constitutional name of my country -the Republic of Macedonia, Greece also disputes the identity of the citizens, that is, it
does not allow for them to be called Macedonians and the language that they speak to
be called the Macedonian language although ever since more than half a century ago
within the Universities worldwide there have been departments where the Macedonian
language has been studied and it has been called the Macedonian language. It is the
same as if somebody denied you to speak French, German, Polish, English, Dutch,
Portuguese, Japanese, Hindi or any other language The United Nations must not
overlook the violation of this fundamental human right - to be able to decide on one's
own name - and should show a fundamental activity to enable the exercise of that right,
and in this particular case an activity that will lead to a solution of these outstanding
issues that Greece has with us. The Macedonian people will never accept being renamed, and if it is impossible for this issue to be solved now, although we are those who are most interested in its solution and we sincerely wish for a solution to be found that will be sustainable, balanced, and most importantly, mutually acceptable, then some other generation in different circumstances will be able to solve it, but precisely on the basis of the values, positions and principles that I mentioned before, and which indicate a just and fair solution, without winners and losers. However, I personally consider that we must not leave the thorny issues to future generations, but we must try to find a solution and find strength to provide prosperity for our country and the region.

A right to a name is among the most basic rights in existence- why should that right be dictated to a group of people?