Change | Teen Ink

Change

November 20, 2013
By LeaderoftheInnerCircle SILVER, Okeechobee, Florida
LeaderoftheInnerCircle SILVER, Okeechobee, Florida
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone." - Orson Welles


In the course of student affairs, it is occasionally the case that we students, if we are capable of doing so in a manner beneficial to all other students (which we are), require a degree of control over ourselves, to the extent that our interests may be represented completely and truthfully to our superiors so that we may learn and aspire in an environment fit to us. Within this statement, there is no additional expression that our current state is detrimental to ourselves or our education, but that it is possible to spend tax dollars in a way more fit to our interests than is presently done and valuable planning time preparing lessons and events that are more exciting or further extend what we take away educationally and morally from them thereon. I do not try to convey that we do not have enough power- the Student Council exists for that reason, but that each individual group within our school, grade, pod, or otherwise, has its own needs and desires which are, for the most part, different or distinct from those of another group. Corresponding to the structure of society in real life, individual people require their necessities fulfilled, their desires known in order to have them satisfied, or their feelings expressed to have their underlying meaning reverberate throughout the masses and to their leaders so that they may have an effect on the affairs of society in general. The same is true in the society of an educational institution- the lower class, made up completely of students, must be spoken for, considering it is the majority. Also, because of the middle class- teachers, who have taught us not only how to teach ourselves, but how to make our own decisions concerning education, I and many others believe we can govern ourselves both individually, as in the case of being free to learn at our own pace (which is a strategy employed by some 8th grade teachers), and between ourselves, which constitutes a student government. To better one of the best middle schools in the country (in my opinion), the creation of a secondary government composed entirely of students is the best option.

First and foremost, I must explain the organization of this imaginary governing power. Even before that, I it is absolutely imperative to the rest of this essay that I state that this should not be implemented this same year, if it is approved. There is no point in creating anything if it is not properly planned for. Reverting to my original point, the government should be representative, similar to our actual federal, state, and city governments' organization, with a President to preside over all other officers, then split into grade, pod, and possibly classroom authorities to equally portray the educational requisites of everyone. Of course, every officer should be elected democratically by the students, with students themselves as the candidates. If administration desires, the elected official may have to go through approval by that selfsame overseeing body. From then on, each officeholder should have a jurisdiction analogous to his or her appointed position. The President should enjoy (in other words, be tortured with) the control over all other officers and the approving or vetoing of diverse high-level "bills", or organized summaries of recommendations to be made to the school or possibly even directly to the district. Those would be devised by the grade- and pod-level officials, who would either take advice from students directly, or in the case of something more personal (such as a request for a reorganization of power in the student government), or incomparable (like asking for a change in what is taught, when material is taught, or how it is taught), construct the bill independently. More important than simple organization, however, is the absolutely mandatory checks and balances system.

You must first understand that there are no separate legislative or judicial branches of this unimplemented student government. For the sake of simplicity and not interfering with the current ways of administering discipline, our government would make and execute internal rules (say, a rule banning talking in the hallway would call on the governing body and any assistants it may have to quiet the students, with possibly a small burden being placed on the teachers). Discipline application would be left as it is. That being said, since there are no other individual entities other than the main government, a checks and balances system would involve preventing each level of regulatory power from superseding a higher level or unfairly precluding a lower level from expressing its wants. It would also thwart any similar attempt by the overall student government to overpower the actual rules and procedures of the school or district in their day-to-day administration, or tell students to do anything but what is allowed because they (the student government) would like things done another way. The members of this authority should also have to follow said rules and procedures while not administrating. They were elected to be an officer, but not to cease being a student at the school. With so much to do and regulate, you must be wondering why a student government should be put into place at all.

There are many, many reasons a lower government within the superior school government should exist. A major one is the educational aftermath of participating in such a complex and elaborate structure as a student; it provides quite a hands-on learning experience in leadership and legislation. Another happens to have been already stated repetitively- students need a deeper involvement in school and how they learn. A pupil who can control (to some degree) how he or she is taught and the environment in which it occurs will learn much more than if he or she is thrown into a school and told to learn (which is not the actual case in our school, but is present in a small amount). This could evolve to a system where students who desire to do so may be present at administration meetings and represent the student body, but that is an entirely different matter. What I am trying to get across is that a student government should be brought about in our school for all of the aforementioned reasons and many more.

If a student-run governing body is implemented in our school, the positive results would snowball. When students who can run themselves actually do, in an environment where such things are unheard of, they blossom and succeed, something I saw happen for myself at another school where students were unmotivated and failing. The administrators of the school can understand exactly what students need and want, wasting less money and time. Overall, everybody except the people in the government doing the work are happy. A student government can and will improve our school to a level hardly obtained by any other school.
Copyright © 2013 Cristian Rios
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0 or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.


The author's comments:
I wrote this for my principal after seeing major changes happen in another school when students were given more power over themselves. They became motivated and excited about learning. I hope the same can happen at my school.