This Is America | Teen Ink

This Is America

November 30, 2012
By Morgan_Hayett3 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Morgan_Hayett3 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Mr. President


It has come not only to my concern but the people around us that we, the United States, are doing little to nothing to stop illegal immigrants coming in to our country. This has created many problems throughout the US such as should these immigrants be able to vote, unemployment rate do to immigrants taking our jobs that we worked for, and the economy itself.

This issue has taken a personal toll with employment, I have been searching for a job for over a year now and with more illegal aliens sneaking into the country, the chances of me finding a job by the time I’m in college are very slim. Yet no one is doing anything to stop this from continuing. It’s very struggling especially since I will be going off to college next year and will be struggling with financial problems.

It’s sad to see a country of its own having to change itself for those who can’t even speak English. We should not have to learn their language or their culture, if you come into America it should be mandatory that you learn how to speak English, this is a free country but there are limits. As Mitt Romney said in an interview (On The Issues) “We should give green cards to people who graduate with skills that we need. [But] I will not grant amnesty to those who've come here illegally.” This is a perfect example, Americans shouldn’t have to come second in America, that is not right.

A possible solution to this problem is simply not hiring someone who can’t speak any English, if they want to stay in our country then they must learn our language (as I stated above). In the article On The Issue, Obama was asked if there was any down side to the US becoming a bilingual nation he responded with “It is important that everyone learns English and that we have that process of binding ourselves together as a country. Every student should be learning a second language, because when you start getting into a debate about bilingual education, for example, now, I want to make sure that children who are coming out of Spanish-speaking households had the opportunity to learn and are not falling behind.”

And also, if the immigrants, legal or not, are receiving welfare from the government, then there should be a limit as to how much money is given. Or they must get a job after a year or two because this country cannot afford to keep spending money. Let’s stand up for our country, we all have a voice that has the right to be heard and take action.

This country, right now, has over 10 million undocumented immigrants, a 10-11ft wall isn’t going to stop them from coming into our country. An article giving an overview on possible solutions to stopping this has stated that “President Bush signed into law the Secure Fence Act, which authorizes the spending of $1.2 billion to construct a seven-hundred-mile fence along the U.S.-Mexico border.” written by Gordon H. Hanson. My question is, is that all this country can do? Spend money on a border and not even patrol it?

This is America, the land of the free. We are an English-American speaking country and we should not have to lower our standards for the 10 million and plus immigrants who come into this country illegally.


Sincerely,
Morgan H.


The author's comments:
Stating my opinion on illegal immigrants (immigrants as a whole as well) and the evidence.