Why Are You Voting? | Teen Ink

Why Are You Voting?

By dReameRboy13 SILVER, Tarrs, Pennsylvania
dReameRboy13 SILVER, Tarrs, Pennsylvania

"Live for tomorrow if not today, because things could always be worse, but you never know what tomorrow may hold... it could be the most important day of your life."

The right to vote is what makes the United States “the leaders of the free world.” However, as commonly misbelieved, we are not a democracy. The USA is a representative democracy, or a republic (that’s right, just like Star Wars). Though recently our voting right has been put in jeopardy, there is still a presidential election coming up that the majority of Americans will vote in.

On November 6, we will walk into the voting booths, mark a name on the ballots, and leave, hoping the candidate we support will become our next Commander in Chief. One thing that has always really bugged me, though, (especially in this particular election) is that clearly people are opposed to or in support of either President Obama or Governor Romney… but they can’t say why.

If you live in this country and you plan to vote for its next leader, then I really hope you would know something about the candidates. In addition, do not ever listen to just a few campaign ads or a few news media headlines. Do some research, people! You could visit the Democratic website (democrats.org), the Republican website (gop.com), plus several different online newspapers (the Huffington Post, the Washington Post, the Boston Globe…).

Nelson Mandela once said: “A good leader can engage in a debate frankly and thoroughly, knowing that at the end he and the other side must be closer, and thus emerge stronger. You don’t have that idea when you are arrogant, superficial, and uninformed.”

Do not ever make uninformed statements, decisions, or judgments.

I am a very strong Democrat. This election I am going to vote for President Obama. Why is that? Because all things considered, I feel he has what it takes, especially in comparison to Governor Romney.
If you were to ask me for a reason, I could easily give you a list of ten as to why I support Pres. Obama (for example, repealing DADT, focusing on posterity rather than prosperity, initiating the PACA). Likewise, I could easily give you a list of ten reasons why I do not support Gov. Romney (for example, his views on immigration and birth control, his infamous flip-flopping, his lack of stating what exactly he would do for our nation).

The bottom line is this: never believe in something blindly; have reasoning, give your belief substance.

In my opinion, the Conservative sector of America is only that way because it is comfortable. They are afraid of change. They are afraid to move forward into uncharted territory because (as human nature dictates) we as a species fear what we do not understand; and we do not understand what we do not know. President Obama has proven to be (particularly in comparison to some) very Liberal. His very slogan and campaign emblem have the word “forward” in them.

I say this because I have followed the race very closely from the start. In addition to reading various online newspapers and the Democrat and GOP websites, I receive e-newsletters from various different political groups (TEAParty 911, CPUSA, PSL, DNC, Log Cabin Republicans, etc.). My mind is made up, but from an informed opinion. I will never say “I don’t know” when asked why I don’t support Gov. Romney or why I do support Pres. Obama. Can you say the same?

C. said...
Hate your politics, love this article. Your message of the neccessity of knowing why you support your candidate is spot-on. I totally agree with you that people need to more research into both sides to broaden their thinking and viewpoints This was a great article to remind people it is crucial not only to know who they support, but why..